Sunburn is very common during summers because the skin cannot tolerate the scorching heat of the summer sun. During summer people generally, go out on vacations or picnics with their family and friends and enjoy outdoor activities like swimming, fishing, or playing outdoor games. You can easily get rid of sunburn using home remedies but it is always better to prevent than cure it later.
Sunburn is normally caused when the body is exposed to the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun that damage the skin. Sunburn can lead to freckles, wrinkles, and skin cancer. Therefore, it is suggested to take effective measures to get rid of sunburn in time and prevent its reoccurrence.
Symptoms of Sunburn
Usually, the sunburn symptoms do not occur immediately. Unlike other problems, it only starts to show after 5-6 hrs. Some of the symptoms of sunburn are:
- Painful reddish skin, small blisters on the skin, itching and burning sensation, peeling skin etc. It also makes the skin very sensitive.
And in the case of severe sunburn, one might experience:
- A headache, chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, flu, etc.
8 Healing Remedies to Get Rid of Sunburn
There are certain home remedies and tips, which provide great relief to your sunburn skin. Reducing inflammation, these home remedies also help to take the sting out of the sunburn. So, let us look into how to get rid of sunburn using home remedies, which are very effective in treating and getting rid of sunburn.
Cool milk compress is very effective to make sunburn go away faster. Milk contains anti-inflammatory properties, which provide a soothing effect to the affected skin. It also contains protein and fat, which help in protecting the outer layer of the skin, thus quickens the healing process of sunburn.
Milk reduces the pain, irritation and redness of the sunburned skin. It also reduces the burning and itching sensation associated with sunburn.
Method: Cool Milk Compress
- Take 1cup of cool milk (don’t take cold milk) in a bowl and mixed it with 1 cup of cold water (you can add some ice cubes instead of cold water).
- Now, take 3 – 4 soft tissues, and dip these tissues in milk, and apply on your face.
- Leave 1 tissue on one part of your face. Then take the other tissue and follow the same process, and place it on the other part of your face (cover all the affected parts of your face).
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes to help treat sunburn on your face.
- Also, you can take these soaked tissues, and place it on the other affected areas.
- Wash your face or your sunburn once it is dried.
- Repeat this process in every 3 – 4 hours for 3- 4 days or until your sunburn
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains 99% of water and other 1% contains about 150 minerals and trace elements, such as vitamins, copper, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, chrome, zinc, iron, tannins, amino acids etc.
Aloe vera is one of the most effective home remedies to treat and heal sunburn fast. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that provide a soothing effect to your burnt area and relief from sunburn.
See how to get rid of sunburn with aloe vera applications.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and remove its edges with the help of a knife.
- Now, slice the leaf to open it and take out its gel.
- Apply this gel directly on your sunburn.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes, or till it becomes dry so that the gel gets absorbed directly into the skin.
- After that, wash it with cool water. Follow this process 4-5 times a day until you find relief from sunburn.
- This will also help to soothe the affected area and you will get sunburn relief.
- Take the fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf and place it in a bowl.
- Now, add 2 drops of lavender essential oil, and mix it well along with the gel.
- Apply this gel on your sunburn, and allow it to settle for 15-20 minutes.
- You can leave it without washing or else wash with cool water.
- Repeat this process several times in a day, to get rid of sunburn fast. It will also give you sunburn relief and pain.
Homemade Face Pack (Almond, Watermelon, and Yogurt)
A study tells that using almond paste for your skin not only protects the skin but also reverses the damages which have already happened. Known as a powerhouse, almond has many healing properties to treat sunburn and other minor burns.
Watermelon contains 93 % of water and multi-vitamins, which not only hydrates your skin but also helps in repairing and protecting your skin from the existing damages. It also helps to relieve sunburn pain and lighten your skin tone.
Yogurt is another essential home remedy for treating severe sunburn, as it is loaded with probiotics, which helps to recover from sunburn fast.
- Take some almonds and soak it for few hours, and then grind them to make a paste.
- Now, take 3 tbsp almond paste, 3 tbsp watermelon juice, and 3 tbsp yogurt.
- Beat all the ingredients together to make a thick creamy mixture.
- Apply this paste on your face and leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Once it is dried, wash it with cold water by rubbing it gently.
- Apply this pack daily if you are having sunburn, or use it after coming from the sun to avoid sunburn and tanning.
- This pack is very useful in soothing the sunburned skin.
This remedy is very effective to treat sunburn on your face. If used regularly, it can also help to prevent tan and sunburn on the face.
[Also Read:Top 14 Home Remedies for Brown Spots on Skin]
Loaded with pain relieving properties, potato speeds up the healing process by cooling the skin and reducing the pain. It also helps to get rid of the blisters. The starch present in potato provides relief from the stinging sensation of sunburn.
- Take 1 raw potato. Peel it and cut it into slices.
- Rub these slices gently on your sunburn.
- Or you can make a potato paste by grinding some of the slices.
- Now, apply this paste on your blisters, and wash after 20 minutes or once it is dried up.
- Follow this remedy 4-5 times daily.
- This home remedy is very effective in healing sunburn.
5. Oatmeal, Papaya, and Honey
Oats are a good source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory elements, which makes oatmeal an excellent remedy for sunburn relief.
Along with oatmeal, papaya and honey can work wonders for the fast recovery of your sunburned skin. Papayas contain various healing enzymes, which help in healing the sunburn and irritated skin. On the other hand, honey locks up the moisture of your skin, as your dry sunburned skin needs moisture. Also, honey has some enzymes, which helps in repairing your damaged skin.
Therefore, this combined process will relief sunburn fast, and stop the itching and irritation associated with sunburn. Find the answer of how to get rid of sunburn using amazing oatmeal, papaya and honey mask
- Take 2 tbsp of oatmeal powder. If you don’t have powdered oatmeal, then grind the oatmeal to make a powder.
- Add 1 bowl of crushed papaya to it.
- Add 1tbsp of honey to it and mix well.
- Apply this mixture on the sunburn affected area.
- After applying, leave it for 30 minutes.
- And then wash off the affected area with cold water.
- Follow this remedy 2-3 times for few days or until you get complete sunburn relief and its symptoms.
Lettuce which is usually used in salads and burgers can also be used for treating sunburn and reducing the sunburn pain. It consists of anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which combat pain and inflammation due to sunburn blisters.
Method: Lettuce Decoction
- Take a sufficient amount of lettuce leaves to cover your affected area.
- Wash these leaves, and boil in a glass of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain the leaves and take the remaining water.
- Once it is cooled, keep it in a fridge for few hours.
- Now, use this cold water for your blisters.
- Or you can soak a cotton ball in this water, and apply it all over your blisters or affected area.
- Follow this process 4-5 times a day till you find relief from blisters and sunburn.
7. Homemade Sunburn Cream
Now, you can make your own natural sunburn cream from some of the soothing ingredients at home. Store it and use it whenever you want to get rid of sunburn.
- Take 1 tbsp each of aloe vera gel and witch hazel.
- You also need 3-4 tsp of baking soda and ½ cup of chopped mint leaves.
- At present, mix only aloe vera gel and witch hazel with 2 tbsp of water, and let it stand for 3 hrs.
- After that, add baking soda and mint leaves into this mixture.
- Stir all the ingredients nicely, and store in a bottle.
- Your cream is ready, now store this cream in a refrigerator and use whenever required.
- Apply this cream on the sunburn affected area of your skin.
Many of you may not know what is witch hazel? It is a herb, which contains a high amount of tannins and catechins that provide soothing relief from the inflammation and irritation caused by sunburn.
Cucumber contains 96% of water with natural antioxidant and analgesic properties. It helps to cool sunburn by soothing the skin. It reduces the burning sensation by repairing the damaged and inflamed skin caused by UV rays. Therefore, it is one of the best home remedies for sunburn.
- Take a bowl of crushed cucumber, and place it on a sieve with a bowl underneath.
- Extract its juice, and then mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice in the cucumber juice.
- Apply this on your affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Wash it after 15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a day till you get relief from the symptoms of sunburn.
Tips for Treating and Preventing Sunburn
Follow the tips sincerely that are mentioned below. It will not just help in treating the sunburn but also help in preventing it.
- Using a cold compress on your sunburn regularly for 3-4times a day will give you a great relief from sunburn.
- Apply Vitamin E oil on your sunburn area, as it will help in reducing the inflammation. Or you can take vitamin E supplements regularly to avoid sunburn.
- Always apply sunscreen lotion with a high amount of SPF (between 20 to 30) whenever you go out in the sun. It is very helpful in protecting your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Applying chamomile and almond oil on your blisters will help in healing the blisters fast.
- Always avoid sunlight that falls directly on your skin. Wear socks and gloves to cover your feet and hand. Also, use a scarf or cap to cover your head.
- Applying some honey on the affected parts also provides great relief from the burning sensation of the skin.
- Avoid using petroleum jelly or any other lotions if your skin is burnt because it will block your skin pores, which will delay the healing process, moreover, it will irritate your skin.
- If your skin is stinging and burning, then applying coconut oil will help in reducing the redness and swelling of the damaged skin.
- Applying plain yogurt directly on your affected skin is also very effective in treating sunburn.
- If your sunburn is not subsided, then avoid soaking yourself in a bubble bath or soapy water as it will cause severe irritation to your burnt skin. Soak yourself only in cool or lukewarm water, and let your body become completely dry before wearing clothes.
All these remedies mentioned above are safe and reliable in treating sunburn. Also following these tips regularly will prevent the occurrence of sunburn.
But if you are experiencing severe symptoms that are mentioned earlier, then don’t wait anymore and consult your doctor as early as possible, as your burn may spread all over your body and cause severe pain and irritation. So, in that case, do not neglect but visit a good dermatologist.
Use these remedies to get rid of sunburn naturally. And do share your personal experiences with us.