At a very young age, Katherine was suffering from asthma. She was allergic to pollen grains, which forced her to take frequent medication during pollen season. She knew that intake of too many medicines is not good for her health. Thus, she was desperately looking for some natural remedies for asthma. Is your situation similar to Katherine? You too are forced to take the medicines for asthma issue? If that’s your story, then cheer up, because here we have brought so many natural and home remedies for asthma which will help you to fight against your sickness.
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a lung disease that leads to difficulty in breathing the process. It can be acute or chronic based on the symptoms. The asthma patient suffers from ‘asthma attack’ when there is an obstruction in the flow of air in and out of the lungs. The attack can be triggered due to various reasons. Some of the common causes of asthma are:-
- Allergies (mainly to pollen and dust mite)
- Air pollution
- Weather conditions
- Respiratory infections
- Certain medications
- Stress and depression
- Sulfites in food
- Non-specific hyperirritability
Asthma is easy to detect. The symptoms of asthma are as follows:-
- Wheezing, coughing and frequent cold
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest congestion
- Discomfort during sleep
Home remedies for asthma
Many medical treatments are available for asthma. Among which, homeopathic asthma remedies are quite popular. If the time required to recover is measured, then natural home remedy provides quick relief from asthma as compared to homeopathic remedies. The natural home remedies reduce the frequency of asthma attacks.Thus, considered as alternative methods to treat asthma.
Garlic clears the congestion in the lungs, which is a major cause of asthma. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory and provides relief from asthma symptoms.
- Take ¼ cup of milk.
- Add 5-10 garlic cloves to it and boil it for some time.
- Allow the mixture to cool and drink it.
- Drink once every day to control your asthma.
- Take some 4-5 garlic pods and crush them.
- Add them to a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for 5-6 minutes, allow it to cool down.
- Drink it every day.
- It is considered as one of the good asthma attack remedies.
Honey is one of the oldest natural treatments for asthma. The alcohol and ethereal oil content of honey remove phlegm in the throat and thus, reduces asthma symptoms. In some cases, inhalation of the smell of honey provides good results.
This is one of the most effective remedies for asthma.
- Take 1 glass of hot water.
- Add 1tsp of honey in it.
- Mix it well. Drink it slowly for about 3 times a day.
- Regular use of this remedy provides relief from asthma.
- This remedy is also helpful to treat treating cold.
- Take 1 tsp of honey. Add ½ tsp of cinnamon powder in it.
- Mix it well. Take it before going to bed.
- This will remove the phlegm from your throat and you will get a sound sleep at night.
- Use this remedy daily, it will reduce the recurring attacks of asthma.
Ginger consists of gingerols, shogaol and zingerones which work as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and analgesic. It provides treatment as good as non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It reduces the airway inflammation and prevents airway contraction. Studies have also shown that like other drugs; the composites in ginger increase the muscle relaxant effect.
- Take equal quantity of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and drink 1 tsp of solution 2-3 times a day.
- Repeat this daily to reduce the asthma symptoms.
- Take 1 tsp of ginger juice or ground ginger and mix in ½ cup of warm water.
- Drink this mixture before going to bed.
- You can also chew a ginger as a remedy for asthma attacks
- Repeat this daily; it’s a natural asthma attack remedy.
- Take 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds and soak them in water overnight.
- Blend the fenugreek seeds in the blender to make a smooth paste.
- Add 1tsp of ginger juice and 1tsp of honey in the fenugreek seed paste.
- Mix all these ingredients well and drink this daily in the morning as well as in the evening.
- This remedy detoxifies your lungs and reduces asthma symptoms. It is also a good remedy for asthma cough.
The nutritional properties of figs improve respiratory health and drain phlegm. It also provides ease in breathing.
- Take 3-4 dried figs and wash them.
- Soak them overnight in a cup of water.
- Eat the soaked figs early in the morning.
- Along with that, drink the fig water on an empty stomach.
- Continue this process daily for a month.
- After consuming the figs, the nutrients of figs will get into your bloodstream. This will provide you quick relief from your asthma. It is also a good home remedy for asthma wheezing.
5. Eucalyptus oil
Pure eucalyptus oil has decongestant properties; it blocks the chemicals which are responsible for asthma attacks. It also consists of a chemical named ‘eucalyptol’ which clear up mucus and provides relief from inflammation.
- Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a paper towel.
- Put your head on it while sleeping, so that you can breathe in the aroma.
- It will help you to sleep relaxed and will prevent the asthma attacks.
- Put 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil in a pot of boiling water.
- Then, take a towel to cover your head.
- Now, breathe in the steam.
- Take a deep breath for quick results.
Turmeric, a yellow spice is very effective in treating the asthma symptoms. It has an anti- inflammatory property which clears the mucus in the lungs and results in breathing ease.
This is one of the most useful remedies for asthma.
- Take 1 tsp of turmeric powder and mix it in a glass of warm milk.
- Turmeric should get dissolve completely, drink the turmeric milk.
- Drink this milk regularly. You can drink 3 times a day.
- Instead of turmeric powder, you can use turmeric capsule or tincture.
- This will control the attack of asthma.
Peppermint oil is very beneficial in treating respiratory problems. It reduces inflammation and pain. It helps you to breathe easily and controls the recurring asthma attacks.
- Take 1 quart of filtered water and boil it.
- Add 10-12 drops of peppermint oil or peppermint extract in it.
- Allow it to boil for ½ an hour on low heat, until the water gets evaporated.
- The smell will get saturate in your room and you will be comfortable to breathe the air.
- Repeat this whenever you get asthma attacks.
Lemon is a good source of vitamin C. It improves resistant power and boosts immunity to fight against the causes of asthma. It is an antiseptic and antioxidant which kills bacteria and reduces the inflammation. It makes your lungs stronger and healthier for breathing easily.
- Take a lemon and cut it into two equal parts.
- Squeeze half lemon to get the juice. Mix this juice in a glass of water.
- Add ½ tsp of honey for better results.
- Drink this daily in the morning.
- It will help you to fight against the asthma symptoms.
Preventive Measures for Asthma
Small changes in diet and lifestyle are very helpful to reduce the frequency of Asthma.
- Include lots of vitamins and minerals in your daily diet (especially vitamin A and C).
- Avoid paints, perfumes and other chemicals which trigger asthma due to its strong smell.
- Avoid smoking, alcohols, chilled juices and soft drinks as these contain sulfites which exaggerate the asthma issues.
- Add herbs and spices in your cooking like turmeric, rosemary, oregano, sage, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Eat more of vegetables and fresh fruits.
- Avoid consumption of processed and packaged foods completely. As it contains the preservative which triggers the asthma attack.
- Include foods rich in omega-3. Fishes like salmon, tuna, mackerel and cod are rich in omega-3 content.
- Drink coffee or black tea, as caffeine presents in coffee, acts as a ‘bronchodilator’ which clears an air passage and helps to breathe comfortably.
- If you are allergic to milk proteins then restrict your intake of dairy products like milk, curd, and cheese.
- Stay away from pets, because you might get allergies from the fur of cats and dogs.
- Always relax, practice deep breathing and don’t take the stress, as it will trigger your asthma attack.
So, find it easy to get a relief from asthma? You just have to follow some of the home remedies and change your diet to successfully treat asthma. Share your views on home remedies which helped you to fight against asthma.