Deep relaxing sleep is very important for our health. Sleep is an effective way to refresh your body. Has your partner ever complained that you create grinding noise while sleeping? If yes, then be aware that you are suffering from teeth grinding. In medical terminology teeth, grinding is referred as bruxism. It is a dental disorder in which unconsciously a person grinds his or her own teeth. It is generally a sleep disorder, but many people even do it while they are awake. It is easy to cure teeth grinding disorder at home. Let us understand in detail about the causes,symptoms and home remedies for teeth grinding.
What Causes Teeth Grinding?
Stress is considered as a main cause of teeth grinding. You can suffer from bruxism due to other health issues also, as many diseases have an impact on your sleep and stress level of the body. Here are some common causes of teeth grinding:
- Misaligned teeth
- High level of stress
- Low work life balance
- Frustration or suppressed anger
- Patient of Huntington or Parkinson also suffers from teeth grinding
- A Person suffering from fibromyalgia
- Side effects of medication lead to teeth grinding
What are Teeth Grinding Symptoms?
Teeth grinding often happens around night time while the sufferer is sleeping, thus self-diagnosis is difficult. Still, there are some symptoms which confirm teeth grinding.
- Pain in Jaw
- Gum inflammation
- Damaged teeth and biting wounds on the inside skin of the cheeks
- The sudden experience of tooth sensitivity while brushing teeth or drinking cold beverages
- Constant low headache
- Grinding sounds in the mouth while you are sleeping
It is essential to treat teeth grinding in initial stage as it leads to many other diseases like continuous low headache, damaged teeth, and jaw pain. In extreme cases, teeth grinding leads to jaw joint disorders and temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ). So, if you experience any combination of the above symptoms, then take instant action to treat teeth grinding. Here are some home remedies which will help you to get rid of teeth grinding.
How to Stop Grinding Teeth Using Remedies for Teeth Grinding?
Teeth grinding disorder can be treated naturally by using massage and exercise. Lifestyle changes are also required in order to lower the stress level. Calm sleep is the best remedy for teeth grinding. The home remedies lead to sound sleep, which in turn reduces grinding teeth while sleeping. So, let us look in detail at home remedies to cure teeth grinding.
Massage Remedies for Teeth Grinding
Muscles of the face, neck and shoulders are involved in general chewing action. Teeth grinding is treated by relieving tension in the muscles of mastication. The massage reduces clenching and pain in the jaws.
See in detail different massage remedies for teeth grinding.
Lavender Oil Massage for Teeth Grinding
Lavender oil massage provides a sound sleep. The bioactive components of lavender oil provide a calming effect on the nervous system and reduces the stress of muscles. In order to treat teeth grinding in children, you can sprinkle a diluted lavender oil on the pillow cover before your child’s bedtime.
- Lavender Oil- 4-5 drops
- Olive oil- 1 tsp
- Take 4-5 drops of lavender oil.
- Mix it with 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Apply it on your neck area and jaw.
- Massage gently for 5 minutes.
- Apply it twice a day. Apply before bedtime to treat teeth grinding.
[Also Read:How to Get Whiter Teeth]
Valerian Oil Massage for Teeth Grinding
If you actually want to enjoy your sleep, then valerian oil massage is the best solution for you. The massage reduces the chance of teeth grinding as it provides deep sleep. The muscle relaxing property of valerian oil reduces stress on muscles and provides the soothing experience.
- Valerian oil – 3-5 drops
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Take 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Add 3-5 drops of valerian oil in it.
- Mix it well.
- Apply to your neck and jaw area, massage gently for 5 minutes.
- Use this remedy before bedtime to get sound sleep.
Stress Relieving Drink Remedies for Teeth Grinding
Generally, people avoid intake of beverages at bedtime as the sugar content in beverages in not good for teeth. Still, there are some drinks, which reduces stress level and provides a sound sleep. So try out some of the below recipes in order to get rid of teeth grinding.
Milk with Turmeric for Teeth Grinding
You must have heard that consuming milk before bedtime is good for health. It is because of the amino acid tryptophan content in the milk. Amino acid works well on the nervous system to make you feel relax. Turmeric acts as a pain reliever and reduces pain in the jaw as well as a headache.
- Milk- 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Take 1 cup of milk in a small blow.
- Boil it well, add 1 tsp of turmeric while stirring continuously.
- Add 1 tsp of honey as per your taste preference.
- Consume turmeric milk 30 minutes after dinner and 20-25 minutes before bedtime.
- This remedy is very useful to heal the damaged teeth and reduce teeth grinding.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for White Spots on Teeth]
Natural Tea for Teeth Grinding
If you have disturbed sleep, then one cup of natural tea will treat the issue quickly. A combination of chamomile tea with lemon provides a relaxing effect on your body. Warm tea also relaxes the muscles of the mouth and jaw.
- Chamomile tea- 2 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Prepare chamomile tea by boiling 2 tsp of chamomile flower powder in water.
- Filter it and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp each of lemon juice and honey in it.
- Mix it well. Drink 1-2 hours before bedtime.
- Use daily until you get rid of teeth grinding.
Tips to Prevent Teeth Grinding
Teeth grinding is a result of stress and frustration. Apart for the remedies for teeth grinding here are given tips which will help you to prevent the root cause of teeth grinding and avoid such damaging medical condition. Follow the tips along with home remedies for teeth grinding to solve the health issue.
- Reduce stress by meditation and exercise.
- Carry out breathing exercise before bedtime to provide ample amount of oxygen to your body. This will make your mind relax.
- Reduce excessive consumption of coffee and energy drink.
- Avoid eating too much chocolate as caffeine is bad for sleep.
- Don’t drink alcohol and quit smoking as it acts as a depressant. Alcohol leads to disturbed sleep and makes teeth grinding
- Avoid the habit of chewing non-food items like biting nails or eating pencils when you are under stress as it will damage your teeth.
- Take the steam or wipe your face with a warm wet cloth before sleeping. This will help to relax the muscles near the mouth.
- Don’t try to fall asleep by watching television as it provides disturbed sleep. Keep a habit of reading before bedtime to get relaxed sleep.
- Increase intake of calcium, magnesium and vitamin C in your diet. This will support tooth’s strength.
So, excited to know that you can treat teeth grinding at home? For teeth grinding issue sound sleep and stress-free mind is the most effective solution. Sleep well by using given home remedies and protect your teeth from damage. Keep us posted with your experiences on teeth grinding and usage of home remedies.