Skin tags on dogs are common and in spite of this many people often panic and take it to be some sort of skin cancer. But the actual fact is that skin tags are nothing but the unwanted and excess growth of skin. Skin tags are harmless and use home remedies for skin tags on dogs to get rid of it.
Skin tags in pets can be either caused due to hereditary factors or depends upon the environmental factor. These skin tags can appear on any part of the dog’s body. Although there are many treatments offered by the veterinarians to treat the skin tags but there are easy home remedies for skin tags on dogs.
These home remedies may just require a few basic tools and you are good to go. Most importantly of all is that the home remedies are completely safe and cause no harm or side effect what so ever to your beloved pet. But before we move on with the remedies let us first discover a few reasons that may cause these skin tags on your dogs.
Causes of dog skin tag
Environment: The environment of a place plays a very important role in the skin conditions of the pets. A dirty or an unhygienic environment for the pet can cause skin tags.
Pet Products: Using cheap or low-quality skin care or pet care products used on the pets can result in several skin infections and also can cause skin tags. Therefore, it is extremely important that one chooses to use only the best ones available in the market.
Genetics: Just like in humans, the skin tags or any other skin or health condition in the pets especially dogs largely depends on the genetic composition of the dog.
Parasites: Parasites like flea, lice and ticks can cause skin tags to the dogs. Therefore, proper pet hygiene is of utmost importance in order to keep the parasites and the skin tags at bay.
Lack of Balanced Nutrition: Improper or lack of nutrition is another factor that can result in skin tag on the dog. So make sure to consult with a good veterinary and gain an in-depth knowledge about nutritional requirements of your pet.
The next obvious question would be about how to identify that your dog has skin tags. Well for this, you need to look for signs like:
- Unusual Bump
So now that you know the causes and signs of skin tags on dogs let us now discover some remedies that can help you get rid of the annoying skin tags on dogs.
2 Safest Remedies for Skin Tags on Dogs
The home remedies that are posted below are completely safe for your pets especially dogs and causes them no harm what so ever.
Take a look at some helpful remedies to remove the skin tags from dogs.
1. Cutting the Skin Tag with Scissors
This remedy may sound a bit too harsh but this is the exact approach that the vets follow to remove the skin tag from pets.
The only important thing that you need to keep in mind is to be extra careful while following this remedy and make sure that you have someone around to help you with this process.
This remedy is a great way to deal with the skin tags on your pets at home!
Things we need
- Sterilized Mayo or Curved Scissors
- Iodine Solution – 10%
- Disposable Razor – 1 Nos.
- Cotton Balls – Few
- Rubbing Alcohol – for application
- Water – 1 Bowl
- Plastic Bowl
- Antibiotic or Antiseptic Cream
- Flour – 1-2 tbsp
- Using a disposable razor shave the area around the skin tag and then clean area with a cotton ball soaked in some rubbing alcohol.
- Next step in this dog skin tag removal process is to cut the skin tag and for this make sure to use only a pair of sterilized mayo or curved scissors for this procedure.
- Firstly while cutting the tag, make sure to start with the end of the tag as it this enables a complete removal of the skin tag.
- Once you have removed the skin tag completely the next important step is to stop the bleeding immediately.
- Apply some antiseptic cream over the wound and onto the same add some flour too.
- Now secure the cream with a cotton ball and wrap a bandage all over the wound.
- This will help in stopping or reducing the bleeding.
- Make sure to monitor the wound for 2-3 times in a day every day until the wound has been completely healed.
- The bandage needs to be replaced with a fresh one 2 times in a day to prevent the skin from any infection.
- If the tag again comes back though there are rare chances but if it does then make sure to consult a good veterinary for the same.
2. Tying the Tag
This is another remedy that is commonly practiced as one of the best home remedies for skin tags on dogs.
The only issue with this process is the discomfort caused by this remedy to your pet but it works equally well.
As this process doesn’t involve any kind of cutting it is mostly considered as the safest remedy to remove the dog skin tags.
Things we need
- Disposable Razor
- Dental Floss – 1
- Rubbing Alcohol – Few Drops
- Cotton Balls
- Cone Collar
- Firstly carefully shave the area around the skin tag using a disposable razor.
- Now dip a cotton ball in some rubbing alcohol and clean the area around and over the skin tag.
- The next step is to take a dental floss and tie the tag using the dental floss.
- Make sure to tie the tag as tight as you can and have someone stay beside your pet as you tighten the string.
- This will only hurt for a few minutes and the pain slowly starts to disappear over a few minutes.
- Now place the cone collar over your pet as this ensures that your dog doesn’t lick the tag as it can cause infection.
- After a few days of this remedy, the skin tag reduces in size and eventually falls out.
- This method is known as the safest and a lesser painful way of removing the skin tags on dogs.
Apart from the above-mentioned home remedies, there are a few other important things to keep in mind to either prevent or remove the skin tags from dogs.
Take a look at some important and useful tips to treat and prevent your dogs from skin tags:
- Always make sure to keep your dog clean and in the best of hygiene.
- Make sure to keep a regular check on the skin condition of your dog and if need be always take help and suggestions from the veterinary doctor.
- Make sure to use the best of pet skin care products and monitor the expiry date of the products in use.
- As outdated pet skin care products can cause skin infections to even skin tags.
- If you are not very confident to follow the skin tag removal procedure then make sure to take help from a fellow friend who has a pet and knows how to remove the tag.
- Avoid ignoring the need to remove the skin tag on dogs as it can further cause skin infection.
- Always make sure to perform the tying tag removal process after buying the cone collar as it prevents from skin infections.
- Though some people may suggest but make sure not to use apple cider vinegar to remove the skin tag as it can irritate the sensitive skin of your pet.
- Avoid using liquid nitrogen as it is a commonly prescribed treatment to get rid of the tags but can completely injure the sensitive skin of your pet.
- Avoid burning, rubbing or pulling the skin tag harshly as it will not only cause discomfort to your pet but can also result in a serious infection.
Although consulting a vet is the best thing to do for your pet care needs but skin tags are not a disease.
Skin tags are just the harmless excessive growth of the skin. With the help of just a few simple home remedies for skin tags on dogs like the ones suggested above this problem can be tackled at home.
But in case if the skin tag grows back or there is a sign of any sort of skin infection over or around the area of the tag, then it is best suggested that you consult a vet for the same.
Home remedies are probably the safest and the most affordable way to deal with the basic health issues like skin tags on dogs. Please make sure to care for your pets wisely using the best products and following simple home remedies.