Pistachios are probably the most used and the oldest of nuts to be used all across the world. They are a native to Iraq and Iran and have been around as early as since the 6,000 BC. Since ancient time human beings were aware of the health benefits of Pistachios.
The pistachio nuts belong to the anacardaceae family and they grow on trees which take about 10 to 12 years to cultivate. They are easily available all year around and hence considered as the most used nuts of all.
Pistachios are available in many forms like shelled, unshelled, salted or sweetened. They are mainly used in desserts or just as a healthy snacking option. But very people are well versed with the world of health benefits of pistachios.
In this article, you will learn about the multiple health benefits of consuming and using pistachios.
Nutrients in Pistachios
In this segment, you will gain the basic knowledge about the various nutrients and minerals available in Pistachios. This will help in gaining a better understanding about how these nutrients in Pistachios can cure several health ailments and beauty concerns.
- Dietary Fiber
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
- Pantothenic Acid
- Beta Carotene
17 Powerful Health Benefits of Pistachios
Now that you have gained the basic knowledge about the nutritive content available in pistachios you must be curious to know the kind of health benefits one can achieve with the consumption of pistachios.
As you read further you will discover some amazing health benefits of pistachios that we will be elaborating about. These ways by the end of the article you will be completely assured about including it in your diet and making the most of it for your health and for your loved ones.
1.Pistachios – Improves the Haemoglobin Levels in the Body
Pistachios are probably the only nuts that are naturally loaded with the Vitamin B6. This vitamin helps in boosting the production of the hemoglobin count in the body. It even aids in promoting better oxygen to all the parts of the body.
- So if you suffer from a low blood count then consider adding Pistachios in your diet.
2.Improve the Blood Flow through your Body with Pistachios
According to many studies it has been proven that the consumptions of nuts especially pistachios help to improve the blood flow throughout the body by increasing the flow of oxygen through the blood vessels.
3.Boost your Immunity with Pistachios
A healthy immune system helps in protecting the body from diseases and infections. People with a low immune system are easily prone to allergies and infections. This the most useful health benefits of Pistachios.
The natural way of boosting your immune system is by adding pistachios to your daily diet. The reason for this recommendation is because pistachios contain a high amount of antioxidant properties. This helps in eliminating all kinds of free radicals from the body and keeps the body healthy and free from diseases and infections.
- Regular intake of pistachios has been proven to enable the body to fight against diseases and even speeds up any health or injury recovery process.
4.Improve your Digestion with Pistachios
Yes, this one of the lesser known health benefits of pistachios!
6 out of 10 people are known to have poor digestion mainly because of their unhealthy eating habits. Fast food and fatty acids are the primary reasons behind slow digestion.
Pistachios contain a high amount of dietary fiber and hence are considered as the best nuts for improving your digestion.
- One ounce or 30 grams of pistachios contain about 3 grams of dietary fiber.
- So add pistachios to your diet and improve your digestion naturally.
5.Reduce Inflammation in the Body with Pistachios
Do you frequently suffer joint pains or backaches?Is the post workout inflammation in the body is a common cause of worry to you?
Then make sure to include pistachios to your daily food routine and reduce the inflammation naturally.
Pistachios are a good natural source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E. They are also packed with anti-inflammatory properties and this makes it the ideal nut to reduce the inflammation in the various parts of the body.
- Consumption of a handful of pistachios every day has been proven to reduce the inflammation in the body.
6.Fight Obesity with Pistachios
One of the most common myths associated with the consumption of nuts is the high fat content they come with.
But the actual fact is that pistachios don’t contain any calories and are instead high in fiber content.
A good intake of fiber on a daily basis helps in breaking down the fat in the body and this eventually helps in fighting obesity naturally.
Consumption of pistachios provides our bodies with the essential nutrients and vitamins that can help in breaking down the fat deposits in the body.
- Reduce weight by adding a handful of pistachios in your daily diet.
7.Regulate your Blood Pressure Levels with Pistachios
Pistachios are low in sodium content and high in potassium. This combination works perfectly for regulating the blood pressure levels in the body. A balanced blood pressure is the best way to maintain a healthy heart.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure then make sure to include pistachios to your diet.
- One can either consume it as it is or it can even be added to a glass of milk for breakfast.
8.Control your Blood Glucose Level in the Body with Pistachios
Pistachios are a good natural source of phosphorous and this helps in breaking down the big protein molecules in the body into small amino acids. This process further aids in preventing the body from glucose intolerance or high blood glucose levels.
- Adding a handful of pistachios to your morning breakfast cereal and control the high blood glucose levels in the body.
9.Prevent yourself from Type-2 Diabetes with Pistachios
The high phosphorous content of pistachios acts as the best natural agent that prevents the body from the Type-2 Diabetes.
- Consuming an adequate amount of pistachios is the best natural way of preventing yourself from the Type-2 Diabetes.
10.Pistachios – Reduces the Risk of Macular Degeneration
As you age there many changes that your body undergoes through. This change can also be experienced on the overall health of the individual.
Macular degeneration is one such health concern that develops with old age.
However, a healthy diet, especially including nutritious foods like pistachios, is the best possible way to prevent yourself from Macular Degeneration. Pistachios help in adding the lutein and the zeaxanthin to the body that helps in protecting the eyes from the free radical damage.
- The high amount of antioxidants present in pistachios further helps in improving the eye health and eyesight.
11.Maintain a Healthy Heart with Pistachios
This will undoubtedly have to be the biggest health benefits of pistachios.
One of the most common and primary health concerns of most of the people all over the world is a healthy heart. The over hectic work schedules, stressful lifestyle routines, and poor diet are the few reasons that can lead to several major heart concerns like cardiac arrest and strokes.
Several types of research have proven the fact that pistachios are the most heart-friendly nuts. They help in reducing the bad cholesterol levels in the body and simultaneously improve the good cholesterol in the body.
Pistachios are also loaded with antioxidants, unsaturated fatty acids, and phytosterols that further help in maintaining a healthy heart.
- Improve your heart health with a daily consumption of a handful of pistachios either in salted or plain form.
12.Pistachios – For Cancer Prevention
This is yet another most helpful health benefit of including pistachios in your daily diet.
Consuming pistachios help in reducing the free radical damage in the body as it is naturally packed with antioxidants. It also helps in eliminating the toxins from the body as well as inhibits the formation of the cancer cells in the body.
- Consuming pistachios on a daily basis either adding it to your breakfast or for lunch accompanying them with yogurt is the best possible way to prevent yourself from cancer.
13.Fight Skin Infections with Pistachios
Reading the above title may surprise you a little but it is a scientifically proven fact that the consumption of pistachios on a daily basis actually helps in protecting your skin from infections.
Well, it is because of the high Vitamin B6 content available in pistachios and this helps in increasing the hemoglobin levels in the body. This further aid in improving the red blood cells counts in the body and protects the skin from infections.
- So if you have a sensitive skin and are constantly worried about developing skin infections then consumption of Pistachios 3-4 times in a week is your best natural remedies for protecting your skin.
14.Reduce Hair Fall with Pistachios
Apart from the many health benefits of pistachios, this is yet another beauty concern that it helps with.
Deficiency of biotin in the body is one of the primary causes of hair fall.
This is exactly why many studies have proven that the consumption of pistachios in the daily diet is the best natural way of stopping hair fall.
- Pistachios are a rich natural source of biotin and consuming them on a daily basis promotes healthy hair growth as well as stops hair fall.
15.Pistachios for Treating Dry Skin
Pistachios contain a high amount of Vitamin E and this helps in healing and treating the dry skin.Pistachios contain natural oils that moisturize the dry skin naturally.
Honey contains skin healing and moisturizing properties.Rose water too helps in cooling the dry skin. This remedy using pistachios, honey, and rose water is the best natural way of treating and nourishing the dry skin from deep within.
Things we need:
- Unshelled Pistachios – 5-6
- Rose Water – ½ tsp
- Honey – 3-4 Drops
- Mortar and Pestle
Things we need to do:
- Add the unshelled pistachios and rose water into the mortar and pestle.
- Now crush them until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- Later transfer it into a mixing bowl.
- Into this add in a few drops of honey and mix this well.
- Apply this pack all over your face, neck and also over the under eye area.
- Leave it on for about 20-25 mins.
- Later wash your face with cold water and pat the skin dry.
- This process to naturally nourish your dry skin can be repeated 2-3 times in a week.
- The result of this pack will be smoother, softer and well-nourished skin.
16.Treat Oily Skin with Pistachios
Oily skin is one of the main causes of acne and breakouts.The antioxidant properties present in pistachios helps in balancing the skin and also reduces the excess oil production from the skin’s surface.
This remedy using pistachios, barley, and lemon juice is the best way to treat oily skin and reduce the excess production of oil from the skin’s surface.Barley flour in this remedy helps in absorbing the excess oil and also reduces the whiteheads or blackheads on the skin.
Lemon juice is loaded with vitamin C and this helps in treating and preventing the skin from acne. This benefits of Pistachios make it easy to take care of oily skin.
Things we need:
- Unshelled Pistachios – 3-4
- Lemon Juice – ½ tsp
- Barley Flour – ½ tsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Mortar and Pestle
Things we need to do:
- Add the unshelled pistachios into the mortar and pestle and crush them until they form a smooth grainy like consistency.
- Now transfer this into a mixing bowl.
- Into this add in the barely flour and the lemon juice.
- Mix this well until it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Apply this all over your face and neck avoiding the eye area.
- Leave it on for about 15-20 mins.
- Later wash your face with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry.
- This process to balance the natural oils of the oily skin needs to be repeated twice in a week for best results.
17.Pistachios to Reduce the Signs of Aging
Wrinkles and fine lines are the common signs of aging and this is also the most common beauty concern of many women all over the world.
Although there are many skin care products available in the market that claims to reduce the signs of aging but the most natural and effective way to treat this skin concern is with pistachios.
This is also one of the most popular health benefits of pistachios.The high vitamin E content available in Pistachios helps in reducing the fine lines and wrinkles and also makes the skin naturally smoother.
- Add pistachios to your daily for reversing the signs of aging naturally.
How to Include Pistachios in your Diet
In this segment, we will offer you with some useful tips as to how you can consume pistachios and gain the maximum health benefits of Pistachios.
- Pistachios can be added to muffins, bread, biscuits or even cakes.
- Pistachios are a great option to add that extra bit of taste to a plain flavored ice cream.
- Pistachios can be added to a bowl of yogurt and consumed as a healthy breakfast alternative.
- Adding pistachios to cream cheese or mayonnaise spreads is the best way to make them even more delicious.
- Adding pistachios along with some peanuts to salads is a great way to add some nutty flavor to the regular salads.
How to Select & Store Pistachios
- Pistachios are available in shelled, unshelled, salted and sweetened and you can pick the kind that suits your taste the best.
- Always make sure to buy pistachios that appear fresh green in color.
- Make sure to avoid buying pistachios that have cracks or have a strong rancid smell.
- Always make sure to store pistachios in the refrigerator as they stay fresher for a longer period of time for like till a year.
- Stocking pistachios in air tight and sealed containers is the best way to prolong their shelf life for almost a year.
Now that you are well versed with the many health benefits of pistachios we suggest you to include them in your diet and make the most of the health beneficial properties that it is packed with.
If at all any health concern prolongs over a period of time it is best suggested to consult a health specialist.
Do drop us a line telling us about which of the health benefits using pistachios recommended by us was of best help to you. We would love to hear from you to serve you with better natural suggestions.