Kiwi is a beautiful little fruit with a fuzzy skin in light brown color on the outer surface and on the inside, the pulp is in light green color with tiny black seeds. The flavor of kiwi is a delicious combination of sweet and a little tangy and acidic just like the strawberries. Kiwi is mostly consumed for its delicious flavor and lesser for its medicinal benefits. A lesser known is that there are many amazing and unknown health benefits of kiwifruit.
Kiwi is a native fruit of the Northern China. It was first brought to New Zealand at the beginning of the 20th century. Earlier it was more prominently known as the Chinese Gooseberry all across China and now popularly known as Kiwi all across the globe. Thankfully now Chile, France, Japan, US, and Italy are considered as the global producers of this amazing fruit Kiwi.
In this article, we shall talk about the many health beneficial properties that Kiwi possesses and also discuss the many ways one can make the most of the fruit and how to use it in the daily diet. But firstly let us gain the basic knowledge about the nutritional value of Kiwi.
Nutritional Value of Kiwifruit
Kiwifruit is packed with multiple nutrients and minerals. Posted below are a few of them:
- Dietary Fiber
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin K1
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B6
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids
So now that we have gained some basic knowledge about the multiple nutritional contents of kiwifruit let us now move on to the health benefits of Kiwifruit.
16 Lesser Known Health Benefits of Kiwifruit
Kiwifruit with its rich nutritive content is highly capable of providing several health benefits as well as can cure some major health concerns. It can also be used to prevent many health issues. Read further to know how to gain the maximum benefits of kiwifruit by including it in your daily diet.
1. Kiwifruit for Digestion
Lack of fiber in the everyday diet can lead to several digestive problems. Kiwi is the ideal fruit that aids in curing any health concern related to digestion. The fruit contains an enzyme known as actinidain which possesses protein dissolving properties. This helps in speeding up the digestion process and also aids in treating stomach disorders.
One of the most common reasons for slow digestion is the ability to digest the protein consumed in our everyday diet. This is where a daily intake of kiwifruit helps in regulating the digestion process by dissolving the protein consumed by us.
Anyone who is suffering either with constipation or a slow digestion is highly recommended to consume kiwifruit on a daily basis.
2. Kiwifruit for Lowering the Blood Pressure
One of the primary causes of a high blood pressure is a diet that either lacks the right amount of potassium intake or is high on the sodium intake.
This is where the kiwifruit is considered as the best help to treat high blood pressure. The fruit contains a high amount of potassium and also helps in reducing the effects of sodium in the body. This eventually results in lowering blood pressure as well as preventing the body from high blood pressure.
So any patient suffering from high blood pressure is highly recommended by the health specialists to include the kiwifruit in their daily diet as a preventive measure for lowering the blood pressure.
3. Kiwifruit for Better Sleep
Are you struggling to get some good sleep? Are you on medication to get better sleep? Then all you need to do is to include the kiwifruit in your daily diet.
Yes, this may sound completely crazy but this is one of the most surprising and helpful health benefits of kiwifruit.
According to several medical studies conducted it has been proven that the kiwifruit contains some compounds that are rich in medicinal properties. These compounds are actually used and helpful in treating sleep disorders like insomnia.
Kiwifruit is especially rich in antioxidants and serotonin that is considered as one of the most sleep essential compounds that can aid in inducing good sleep.
Many health specialists recommend patients with insomnia or sleep disorders to consume kiwifruit on a daily basis.
How to Use Kiwifruit to Sleep Better
- Follow a routine of consuming 1-2 kiwifruits every day before bedtime and this will help in inducing deep sleep.
- This routine can be continued on a daily basis as it has no side effects what so ever.
4. Kiwifruit for Cardiovascular Health
One of the most complicated and serious of all health concerns is the risk of cardiovascular ailments. According to several global death reports 10 out of 30 cases of death have been mainly because of the cause of either stroke or a heart attack.
Kiwi is a great natural source of potassium, fiber, and antioxidants. These qualities present in the fruit helps in supporting and improving the overall cardiovascular health of an individual.
According to several medical studies, the right balance of an increase in the potassium intake and with a decrease in the sodium intake in the everyday diet is probably the best and the easiest way to reduce the risk of cardiovascular health concerns.
This is the main reason why most of the cardiovascular health specialists or heart surgeons highly recommend their patients to consume kiwifruit on a daily basis.
The consumption of 2-3 kiwi’s on a daily basis increases the potassium levels in the body and at the same time reduces the effect of sodium in the body. This eventually results in the prevention of major cardiovascular ailments like stroke or heart attacks or even blood clotting.
5. Kiwifruit for the Prevention of ADHD, Autism & Other Developmental Problems in Children
Several studies conducted on the various measures to prevent autism in children or any other developmental problems in children have revealed that including foods that are naturally rich in omega 3 fatty acids is the best cure.
Kiwifruit is a rich natural source of antioxidants, as well as omega 3 fatty acids and thankfully both of these qualities, help in preventing the body from diseases and especially here prevents children from developmental disorders.
How to Use Kiwifruit for the Prevention of Developmental Problems in Children
- Everyday intake of 2-3 kiwifruits is suggested by the specialists to prevent developmental health concerns like autism in children.
6. Kiwifruit for the Brain Development in Children
According to medical children’s health science reports it has been proven that a regular intake of natural foods that are rich in copper helps in the brain development in children. It improves their ability focus and grasp faster.
Kiwifruit is a natural source of copper that can be of the best help in improving the brain function and development in children.
7. Kiwifruit for Strengthening the Bones
The need to include only calcium in the diet to improve the bone health is one of the most common misconceptions.
Minerals like copper and manganese are highly helpful in improving the bone health as well as aid in strengthening weak bones.
Kiwifruit is packed with copper and manganese that helps in improving the bone health and regular intake of it can result in stronger bones naturally.
8. Kiwifruit for the Prevention of Cancer
Kiwifruit is packed with several anti-cancer properties like carotenoids and flavonoids. These are also termed as phytochemicals that prevent the DNA damage caused by the free radicals and the oxidative stress.
Preventing the damage of DNA also results in the prevention of the growth of cancer cells. This can definitely be considered as one of the most helpful health benefits of kiwifruit.
So ultimately the whole process of the consumption of kiwifruit on a daily basis can be considered as preventing the growth of cancer cells in the body.
So the next time the news about cancer cells freaks you out consider following a healthy diet that includes at least 3-4 kiwifruits on an everyday basis.
9. Kiwifruit for a Better Vision
Kiwifruit contains a high amount of zeaxanthin and lutein and both of these compounds exist naturally in the human eye as well.
Lutein helps in preventing the age-related macular degeneration of the eye and also aids in the development of glaucoma and cataracts by filtering out the blue light which can be damaging to the vision.
Zeaxanthin works same as the lutein and helps in improving the vision naturally.
So according to several studies conducted on how to improve the vision naturally without any surgical procedures it has been proven that the consumption of kiwifruit which contains these compounds helps in the prevention of vision loss and also improves the eyesight over a period of time.
10. Kiwifruit for Pregnant Women
Folic acid is one of the most health essential nutrients especially for the pregnant women as it helps in the prevention of birth defects.
Kiwifruit is naturally packed with a high amount of folic acid and this makes it the ideal fruit for the pregnant women to indulge in and get the required amount of folic acid naturally.
Folic acid or folate in the kiwifruit also helps in the development of the blood cells in the baby while it still is in the womb.
11. Kiwifruit for Losing Weight
Kiwifruit contains a high amount of fiber and a low glycemic index and this balance helps in preventing the body from a strong insulin rush.
A combination of high fiber and low glycemic index also prevents the body from storing fat and thus makes kiwifruit one of the best fruits to be included in your weight loss diet regime.
12. Kiwifruit for Maintaining the Alkaline Balance
Kiwifruit may be considered as one of the most delicately delicious fruits but it is also labeled as one of the most alkaline fruits ever.
The term alkaline rich fruit basically means that it is rich in minerals that tend to replace the excess of acidic foods consumed by us.
A well balanced and well-maintained alkaline balance in the body results in several health benefits like you sleep better, reduces the symptoms of arthritis and osteoporosis, boosts the physical energy and also prevents and treats the signs of cold and flu.
So a daily intake of the kiwifruit is highly recommended to gain the maximum benefits of a well-maintained alkaline balance in the body.
13. Kiwifruit for Boosting the Immunity
Kiwifruit is a rich natural source of vitamin C and other health beneficial antioxidant compounds. These compounds along with the vitamin C in kiwi help in boosting the immunity as well as increase the energy levels of the body.
Kiwifruit for Healthy Skin
Apart from the several other amazing health benefits of kiwifruit a lesser known fact is that it is also one of the most used fruits in many face masks and face packs.
Kiwi is loaded with healthy skin essential vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin E. These vitamins are known to protect and repair the damaged skin and also help in preventing the skin from various signs of aging.
14. Kiwi & Curd Face Mask for Healthy & Glowing Skin
Curd is a great natural skin bleaching agent that helps in lightening the blemishes and also leaves a natural glow on the skin.
Combining yogurt with kiwi is the perfect way to get that naturally glowing skin free from blemishes or scars.
Things we need
- Kiwifruit – 1 Nos.
- Curd – 1 Small Cup
- Mixing Bowl
- Firstly peel the kiwi fruit and add it into the blending jar.
- Into the same jar add in the curd too.
- Now blend this for 2-3 mins or until it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Later transfer it into a mixing bowl and apply this paste all over your face and neck avoiding the delicate eye area.
- Leave it on for 20-30 mins.
- Later wash your face with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry.
- This natural kiwifruit face mask leaves your skin glowing and clear.
- This process can be repeated twice in a week for a naturally healthy and glowing skin.
15. Kiwifruit & Lemon Face Mask for Oily Skin
Oily skin is one of the primary causes of acne or breakouts. So the best way to reduce the excess oil production of the skin is by trying out this quick and very effective face mask using kiwifruit and lemon juice.
Both kiwi and lemon juice are a rich source of vitamin C and skin-beneficial antioxidants and together they form the perfect balance in treating the oily skin.
Things we need
- Kiwifruit – 1 Nos.
- Lemon Juice – ½ tsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Firstly peel the kiwi fruit and add to a blending jar and blend it until it forms a smooth pulp like consistency.
- Now transfer this kiwi pulp into a mixing bowl and into this add in the lemon juice.
- Mix this well until both the ingredients are well combined.
- Now apply this all over your face and leave it on for about 5-10 mins.
- Later wash your face with cold water and pat the skin dry.
- This process to control the oil production and to maintain an acne free skin can be repeated 2-3 times in a week.
16. Kiwi & Avocado Face Mask for Anti-Aging Skin Benefits
Kiwifruit is a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids and this is yet another nutrient that is known to be highly beneficial for the skin. Along with this, kiwi is also packed with the vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E and these vitamins help in boosting the collagen production and making the skin look younger.
Avocado, on the other hand, is naturally packed with vitamin A, vitamin B and vitamin C. These vitamins like in kiwi help in slowing down the skin aging process and boost the collagen formation.
Try this incredibly easy and extremely beneficial face mask using avocado and kiwifruit to reverse the signs of aging.
Things we need
- Kiwifruit Pulp – 1 Nos.
- Avocado Pulp – 1 Nos.
- Mixing Bowl
- To get the pulp remove the skin of kiwifruit and mash the pulp using the back of a spoon.
- Now cut the avocado in half and scoop out the pulp from it and transfer it into a mixing bowl.
- Now into the same bowl add the kiwi pulp too and mix it well until both they form a smooth paste like consistency.
- Now apply this all over your face and neck area avoiding the sensitive eye area.
- Leave this fruit mask on for 20-30 mins.
- Later wash your face with cold water and gently pat the skin dry.
- This process to reverse the signs of aging can be repeated twice in a week.
Now that we are well versed with the many amazing health benefits of kiwifruit let us now learn about the right selection and storage procedure of kiwifruit.
Selection & Storage of Kiwi
- Always make sure to buy kiwi’s that appear plump and a bit larger in size.
- Avoid buying kiwi’s that are slightly soft or don’t feel are of the right shape.
- Avoid buying kiwis with spots as they may not be very fresh.
- Always make sure to store the kiwifruit’s in the refrigerator as they stay fresh for longer in the cooler and dry places.
- Make sure to store the kiwis in a paper bag or in a plastic container.
- Avoid using plastic bags to store the kiwifruit as they can damage them.
- When stored in the refrigerator the kiwis stay fresh for at least 4-5 days and it is best advised to consume it before.
All of the above-mentioned health benefits of kiwifruit are extremely effective in treating the respective health and beauty concerns.
There are many over the counter medications available but it is best suggested to try out some easy and safe home remedies before reaching out for the chemically laced medications.
If at all any health concern prolongs even after the usage or application of the kiwifruit then it is best recommended to consult a health specialist for the same.
Do let us know if any of the home remedy recommendations using the miraculous kiwifruit was of help to you as we would love to hear from you to serve you better.