Richard, 24, has been suffering from back acne for long as he can remember. The horrible scars on his back bother him still. He takes training at a gym to build a good physique. He works out for hours and sweats a lot.
The back acne is really painful and he cannot wear the vest for a long time because it irritates the acne further. He also cannot remove the vest or jacket because the scars look really nasty. He always thinks and tells it to himself- can I flaunt my body without being embarrassed about back acne scars?
Richard is going through the trauma of back acne scars. Like Richard, do you also feel uncomfortable and deep pain due to back acne? Do you feel embarrassed often because of the acne scars on your back? Are you looking to remove back acne scars fast? Read on know more about it.
What are Back Acne Scars?
Back acne scars are the remnants of severe inflammatory and painful acne. The pimple cysts get so deep into the skin that they leave the skin tissue damaged. The back area is more prone to acne because it has a lot of sebaceous glands that produce excess sweat and oil, which clogs the pores and hair follicles resulting in bacteria accumulation and acne break out.
Since the back area is always covered with multiple layers of clothing, it remains wet with sweat, making it difficult to heal faster. The acne cysts constantly get ruptured due to the friction of clothing, inner wear, leaning against a back support or wearing backpacks. When they rupture, they leave behind terrible scars.
Types of Acne Scars:
Acne scars are broadly classified into 4 types. Knowing the type of your scars can help you treat back acne scars in a better and more effective way.
1. Depressed or Pitted Acne Scars:
Pitted or depressed scars appear like pits or depressions on the surface of the skin. They further are divided into 3 types:
a. Rolling Scars: Rolling scars are like small rounded potholes you may notice in your garden. They are broad and rounded having sloping edges in the skin. If you suffer from patchy inflammatory back acne for a prolonged period you might notice rolling scars on your back.
b. Boxcar Scars: Boxcar scars are box-like with defined edges. They are more obvious and pronounced compared to rolling scars. It is very difficult to get rid of boxcar scars.
c. Icepick Scars: Icepick scars are deep narrow pits that look like an ice-cream cone inserted into the skin. They penetrate and rupture the subcutaneous tissue of the skin and prevent natural healing. These are the most difficult ones to heal in all the 3 types of depressed scars.
2. Hypertrophic Scars or Raised Scars:
These scars are the opposite of depressed scars. They stick out above the skin surface as a result of the excess scar tissue that is formed at the places where inflammatory acne has affected you.
3. Hypo-pigmentation or Hyperpigmentation Acne Scars:
When inflammatory acne subsides it may leave behind some abnormal discoloration of the skin with light or dark spots. In hyper-pigmentation melanocytes in the skin produce excess melanin resulting in dark or brownish spots. When certain melanocytes get worn-out due to acne damage they lose their ability to produce melanin pigment. This results in hypopigmentation or light/white patches on the skin.
4. Erythema or Permanent Red Scars:
Erythema is a post-inflammatory acne condition of permanent dilation of blood capillaries close to the skin surface. This results in the appearance of small red dots and spots on the skin.
Remove Back Acne Scars Quickly
To get rid of back acne scars you may have to try both dietary remedies and topical remedies. Scars heal faster when treated both internally and externally.
I. Dietary Remedies:
Some foods can help the healing of skin wounds and acne scars.
a. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A or retinol makes skin soft and smooth. It encourages cell generation within the skin and checks pore blockage and comedones that lead to acne. Vitamin A-rich diet prepares the skin to heal wounds, acnes, sunburn and scars faster. Include organ meats like liver, kidney and dairy products, eggs, chicken and cod liver oil in your diet.
b. Vitamin C:
Citrus fruits like lime, oranges, pineapple, strawberries, and kiwis are best sources of Vitamin C. Bell peppers, dark leafy green vegetables, broccoli, thyme, basil, parsley, cilantro, and Brussels sprouts are also rich in Vitamin C. Eating a Vitamin C-rich diet helps healing the skin wounds and back acne scars. Vitamin C also fights sun damage and prevents dehydration of the skin.
Zinc supplements are generally prescribed to people who have had serious inflammatory acne. Instead of taking supplements you can take organ meats like kidney, liver: red meat like lamb and beef; and sea foods like oysters, scallops, and shellfish that are rich in Zinc. Zinc helps repair the structure of proteins and cell membranes. This helps in healing back acne wounds, reduce inflammation and protect against UV radiation.
Collagen is a protein which along with keratin provides strength, elasticity, smoothness, and resilience to the skin. If the skin is strong and elastic, the scars heal faster. Eating foods that help rebuild collagen in your skin can heal the acne scars on your back and fade the scars faster.
- Leafy green vegetables are rich sources of Vitamin C and lutein, an anti-oxidant. Including foods like spinach, cabbage, and kale diet daily will accelerate the manufacture of collagen in your skin.
- Soy bean and products like soymilk are a good source of genistein that prevents skin aging and skin damage.
- Beans like broad or butter beans contain hyaluronic acid which guards your skin against aging while helping rebuild collagen.
- Red vegetables like tomatoes, red peppers, chili peppers and carrots have lycopene which is a natural sunscreen that protects the skin from sun damage.
II. Topical Remedies:
External application of topical remedies on the back is a little difficult. But you can make use of a sponge back scrubber to reach all the corners of your back and apply topical remedies. Ensure that your sponge back scrubber is thoroughly cleaned with an anti-bacterial soap before you use it on your acne. Poor hygiene can aggravate back acne scars.
Regular and consistent use of these natural remedies can help get rid of back acne scars.
Onion helps regulate collagen production. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties heal acne and acne scars quickly.
- Make a paste of 1 white onion and 1 medium cucumber and apply it to your back. Let it remain for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
- You can also cut an onion in half and rub it all over your back. Let it remain for 15 minutes and wash it off.
b. Egg Whites:
Eggs are rich in protein that can facilitate the rebuilding of collagen in the skin and help treat back acne scars faster.
- Whisk 1 egg white and apply it all over your back with the help of a sponge back scrubber. Wash it off after 30 minutes.
- Whisk 1 egg white until fluffy. Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to it. Mix well and apply it all over your back with the help of a back scrubber.
c. Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice acts as a natural skin bleach with astringent properties. The Vitamin C in the lemon juice helps in rebuilding the collagen and restores the elasticity of the skin while fading back acne scars and dark spots.
- Extract the juice out of a fresh lemon. Apply the juice directly to your back acne scars with the help of a sponge back scrubber. You may feel a slight burning sensation as soon as you apply, but it will subside in a few minutes. Use lemon juice on your skin 3-4 times a week to treat back acne scars.
- For sensitive skin: Dilute the juice of one lemon with 2 tbsp of cucumber juice and apply all over you back. Cucumber juice soothes ruptured acne cysts.
- Mix the juice of 1 lemon with 1 tbsp each of honey, almond, and milk. Apply it to your skin to remove acne scars on your back.
- Before taking a shower, apply a mixture of 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of glycerin all over your back. This is a good cleanser and helps fade acne scars with regular use.
Note: Applying lemon juice makes the skin sensitive to the sun. Make sure you cover your skin properly before stepping outside.
Honey is a natural antibiotic. It reduces inflammation as well as fades the scars and dark spots.
- Apply the honey to your back acne scars and leave it to heal your scars for an hour. Wash it off with warm water.
- Mix 2 tbsp of honey with 1tbsp of cinnamon powder to heal your back acne scars. Wash it off with cool water after 30 minutes.
Tomatoes also contain natural bleaching properties and are also a rich source of Vitamin A.
- Make a pulp of one tomato and apply it all over your back. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Make a paste of one ripe tomato and a medium sized cucumber in a food processor and apply this paste all over your back. Leave it on for half an hour before washing it away. Repeat at least twice a week to remove back acne scars.
Yogurt has natural AHA (alpha hydroxyl acids) and is rich in lactic acid. It moisturizes the skin and heals scars deeply when used regularly.
- Apply the yogurt to your back daily before the shower and keep it on for 10 minutes before washing it off.
- You can mix half a cup of yogurt with half a cup of cucumber juice/tomato juice and apply this mixture to your acne scars and wash it after 15 minutes.
- You can mix half a cup of yogurt with 5-6 ripe strawberries made into a paste. Apply it to your back and leave it on for 15 minutes before shower. Strawberries are a rich and natural source of salicylic acid that helps lightens the scars.
- Take half a cup of yogurt. Add 3 tbsp of lemon juice and 3 tbsp of tomato juice to it. Mix well and apply it to your back acne. Leave it for 30 minutes until it dries and wash it off thoroughly with cool water. This pack works wonders in clearing back acne scars.
g. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial properties. So it prevents the spread of acne bacteria and also helps get rid of back acne scars too. Always use diluted tea tree oil as it is very strong.
- Mix 4-5 drops of undiluted tea tree oil to 2 tbsp of fresh aloe vera gel and apply it all over your back acne. Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it with cool water.
- You can also mix 4-5 drops of undiluted tea tree oil to 2 tbsp of raw organic honey. Apply it all over your back acne and leave it on for 20 minutes before you wash it off.
- You can combine tea tree oil with yogurt too. Add 4-5 drops of undiluted tea tree oil to 2 tbsp yogurt and apply it on your back. Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash it with warm water.
h. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil is an anti-bacterial oil and has excellent healing properties. It also stimulates the collagen build-up in the skin. Apply coconut oil liberally all over your back and massage gently till it is absorbed by the skin. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, neem oil, or sandalwood oil to the coconut oil and apply. Repeat this remedy at least 2-3 times a week.
i. Olive Oil:
Olive Oil is very rich in Vitamin E. Regular use of olive oil over your acne scars can help in reducing the inflammation, redness, dark spots and heal the skin to a great extent. Apply olive oil liberally all over your back and massage gently. Leave it overnight and wash next morning. Repeat at least 2-3 times a week to remove back acne scars.
j. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera gel is a good anti-bacterial and anti-fungal remedy that heals the skin deeply. It reduces cystic acne inflammation.
- De thorn and cut an aloe vera leaf to scrape out fresh aloe vera gel. Apply the gel directly on your back acne daily to lighten them.
- One tablespoon of aloe vera gel mixed with half a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder can work wonders for your back acne scars. Keep this mix on your back for 10 minutes and wash it thoroughly.
Do you know any other home remedies to remove back acne scars? Have you ever used the home remedies that are mentioned above to get rid of back acne scars? Share your experiences with us.