Susan was at the wedding ceremony of Carol. Carol was getting married to her boyfriend David. Carol and David met just six months ago at a party, and in such a short time period they decided to exchange vows.
While raising a toast David said, “I met Carol at a party. There were many girls in the party, but the only thing I was able to see was the glittering smile of Carol, which attracted me towards her when I saw her for the first time”.
The wedding went on well. But that event made Susan think – can a smile make such a huge difference in someone’s life. Susan thought – am I able to flash my smile and meet my soul mate too like Carol? Do I have that gorgeous smile to attract somebody?
Are you also thinking like Susan? Are your teeth losing their shine gradually? Are you thinking always how to get whiter teeth? Then do not worry as we have collected and presented some of the best home remedies for you to get that gorgeous smile.
So let’s get into action and read to know about the home remedies for whiter teeth.
Why Teeth Turn Yellow?
You might have observed that slowly your teeth are losing that white color and turning yellow. Some conscious people avoid a good laugh in public due to yellow teeth and there is always a hidden desire to get those whiter teeth. But before that it is important to understand, why you are losing the white color of the teeth.
Teeth consist of tissues, which are known as enamel. Enamel is a white covering, which protects your teeth from any damage. Some of your eating habits can cause the enamel to break down and turning your teeth yellow. Here, you are not only losing the white color of your teeth but also the protection to the teeth.
Excessive consumption of alcohol and tobacco harms the enamel and makes your teeth look yellow. Aging is also one of the reasons behind yellow teeth. Poor dental hygiene and oral hygiene also causes the breakdown of enamel and in turn you lose the white color of your teeth.
Why to Pick Home Remedies to Whiten Teeth?
There are many expensive products available in the market to get whiter teeth. The remedies like Whitening Strips, Over-the-Counter Tray and Gels, Paint-Ons can provide you whiter teeth instantly. These remedies offer a short term cure and do not contribute in providing strength to the enamel.
On the other hand, home remedies will not only help you to regain the natural color of your teeth but also will improve the layer of enamel on your teeth. The natural remedies will protect your teeth from other dental issues like cavity and sensitivity.
The home remedies are easy to apply, cheap and provide excellent results. Let’s read to know various cost-effective DIY teeth whitening methods that have used various simple ingredients like baking soda, lemon, coconut oil and many more to whiten teeth at home.
Cooking Ingredients for Teeth Whitening
Baking Soda for Teeth Whitening
Baking soda is a multipurpose ingredient with a lot of benefits. It is widely used for cooking delicious food, skin treatment or for dental care. Regarding the usage of baking soda for dental health, it actually polishes the teeth and fights against bad breath.
Application of baking soda will provide you whiter teeth by removing the plaque. Deposited plaque on the teeth not only reduces its white color, but also contributes to tooth decay. It also affects the overall dental health.
You can use baking soda with a combination of lemon juice or white vinegar. Do you want to know how to use baking soda to get white teeth fast? Here are the detailed instructions for you.
Brushing Teeth with Baking Soda for that Whiter Teeth
Brushing teeth with baking soda is similar to brushing your teeth with toothpaste. You just need to take care of proper dilution of baking soda to avoid irritation in the teeth.
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Take your regular toothpaste (use white colored toothpaste for this treatment. Gel toothpaste may not go well with baking soda).
- Squeeze the toothpaste on your brush.
- Take out pea-sized toothpaste on your brush.
- Sprinkles ½ tsp of baking soda on it.
- Now, brush your teeth with this mixture.
- You can replace toothpaste with lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar to whiten teeth.
- Use it twice a week to get whiter teeth.
Teeth Whitening Mouthwash with Baking Soda
The baking soda mouthwash is very effective to whiten teeth at home. It is also one of the remedies to fight against bad breath. It will also improve your oral health and make teeth free of plaque.
- Baking soda – 1 tbsp
- Hydrogen peroxide – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Take 1 cup of water and add 1 tbsp of baking soda to it.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of hydrogen peroxide to the liquid.
- Mix it well to get a uniform liquid.
- Rinse your mouth with the liquid.
- Use it twice a day for better results.
Salt to Get Whiter Teeth
If you are looking for a dual option of whitening the teeth along with strengthening the gum, then the simple salt can be very helpful. It also prevents putrefaction and bad breath. Sea salt is rich in trace elements and minerals, which are beneficial for teeth and gums.
Salt as Toothpaste
Salt can be used for teeth whitening. It is not recommended to replace your toothpaste with salt, but you can use it with your regular toothpaste.
- Salt – 2 tbsp
- Water – few drops
- Take 2 tbsp of salt and add a few drops of water to it.
- Take the solution on your fingertips.
- Start rubbing it on your teeth. Don’t put much pressure, just do it gently.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Now use your regular toothpaste to brush your teeth.
- You can use this process for 1 week till the yellowness of your teeth is reduced and you get whiter teeth.
Mouthwash with Salt
Mouthwash with salt will be very refreshing and will fight bad breath. As salt is a disinfectant, it will protect your teeth from germs causing tooth decay as well as make your teeth look whiter
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Sea salt – 1 tsp
- Take 1 cup of warm water.
- Mix 1 tsp of sea salt in it.
- Rinse your mouth with this liquid. Keep it in your mouth for 2 minutes and then split it out.
- You can use this process every day after regular brush to get whiter teeth.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for Teeth Whitening
Apple cider vinegar acts as a stain remover and makes the teeth clean and white. It perfectly answers your question how to get whiter teeth. The stubborn stains due to the intake of nicotine and coffee can be removed with the use of apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- It is very important to dilute apple cider vinegar before using it for teeth whitening as it is acidic and can harm the enamel.
- Take 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and mix it with ¼ cup of water.
- Apply it to your teeth using a cotton ball or your fingertips.
- Keep it for 2 minutes and rinse your mouth with water.
- Then brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste to make your teeth whiter.
Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Whiter Teeth
Hydrogen peroxide is not used directly in cooking but is used in many ingredients. It acts as an antimicrobial and prevents fermentation. Mainly it is used as a preservative in different products. For teeth, hydrogen peroxide will provide a bleaching effect and help to get shiny white teeth.
- Hydrogen peroxide – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Take 1 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide.
- Dilute it in 1 cup of water.
- Rinse your face using this mouthwash before brushing your teeth.
- Ensure not to swallow this mixture.
- Do it regularly to get rid of yellow teeth.
Usage of Fruits for Natural Teeth Whitening
By using fruits, you can prepare homemade teeth whitening recipes. Usage of fruits for teeth whitening is a common home remedy. The citric acid in the fruits makes it helpful for reducing the yellowness of the teeth. Fruits provide a bleaching effect on the plaque and clean the teeth.
Lemon Juice for Whitening Teeth
Lemon juice contains citric acid, which acts on the plaque to get rid of the yellow color of the teeth. It provides a bleaching effect to the teeth and help in teeth whitening. The lemon juice, as well as lemon peels, both offers effective solutions for yellow teeth.
- Fresh lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Cotton ball – 2 to 3
- A small bowl
- Take 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in the lemon juice for 2 minutes.
- Rub the cotton ball on your teeth.
- Use 2-3 cotton balls and repeat the process for 5 minutes.
- Wash your teeth with cold water.
- You can use lemon juice with salt or baking soda for better results.
- Use it daily for 2 weeks to get white teeth.
Strawberries for Whitening Teeth
Strawberry is rich in Vitamin C, which is helpful to make your teeth strong. It will remove the plaque by providing you a set of shining bright teeth.
- Strawberries – 4 to 5
- Water – few drops
- Take 4-5 strawberries and add some water to it.
- Grind it to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your teeth using your fingertips.
- Rub it gently and keep it for 5 minutes on your teeth.
- Rinse your teeth with warm water.
- Use it twice a day for 2 weeks to get bright glittering teeth.
Orange Peel for Whitening Teeth
Orange peel is rich in calcium and Vitamin C. It will help you to fight against tooth decay and will make your teeth strong. Orange peel reduces the accumulated plaque from your teeth and helps you to get whiter teeth.
- Dried orange peel – 1
- Or orange peel powder – 1 tbsp
- Water – few drops
- Sprinkle water on the dried orange peel to moist it.
- You can also grind the dried orange peel to make a fine powder.
- Take orange peel or orange peel powder on your fingertips.
- Rub it on your teeth, covering the yellow part of the teeth.
- Just spit the excessive saliva. No need to rinse your mouth.
- Use this process before bedtime.
- Continue it for 2 weeks to get whiter teeth.
Apples to Get Whiter Teeth
Using apples is the healthiest way to reduce the yellow color of the teeth. Apple is full of fiber, which is good for your health and at the same time its acidic nature will clean your teeth quickly.
- Medium sized apple – 1
- There is not a specific process of using apple for whitening teeth.
- It is suggested to eat an apple directly without cutting it into pieces.
- The acid in the apple will work on your teeth and remove the plaque.
- So it is as simple as that. Just eat and chew an apple with your teeth and get white teeth.
Banana Peel for Whitening Teeth
Banana peel is full of minerals, such as manganese and potassium, which will easily get absorbed in your teeth. It will help your teeth to regain the original white color.
- Banana peel – 1
- Cotton balls – 2 to 3
- Take 1 banana peel and cut it into 2 pieces.
- Take a piece of banana peel in your hand and rub the white part against your teeth.
- Do it for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Apply it twice a day to get whiter teeth.
Application of Oil for Whitening Teeth
You might have heard that eating oily food is one of the causes behind yellow teeth as oil sticks to the teeth and provide an opportunity for bacteria for colonization. It is true, but you can also use oil as a remedy for whitening teeth. Coconut oil and olive oil can be used to remove the yellow layer from your teeth.
Coconut Oil for Teeth Whitening
Coconut oil promotes gum health and helps you to breath fresh. About yellow color of teeth, the lauric acid in the coconut oil provides a bleaching effect and removes plaque from the teeth.
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Put it in your mouth.
- Push and swish it in the mouth.
- Pull it around your teeth for 15 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
- You can use it every morning before brushing your teeth for 2 weeks.
- The plaque will be drastically reduced.
Olive Oil for Teeth Whitening
As similar to coconut oil, olive oil also has a property to provide protection to teeth from germs. It removes plaque quickly and makes the teeth strong.
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Cotton swab – 1
- Take 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Use a cotton swab to apply olive oil on your teeth.
- Keep it for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your teeth with the water.
- Brush your teeth using your toothpaste.
- Use it every morning for one week to whiten teeth fast.
Traditional Approach for Whitening Teeth
Along with your toothpaste you can also use other natural herbs to clean your teeth as in ancient times people used to use basil and margosa for teeth cleaning.
- You can use dry leaves of basil to clean your teeth. Apply basil leaves to your teeth to avoid discoloration of teeth. Only chewing of basil leaves can also help you to get white teeth.
- The twigs of margosa can be used as a natural teeth whitener to clean the plaque accumulated on the teeth. You can rub margosa leaves on the teeth to whiten it.
- Charcoal is also one of the options to whiten teeth, but it is not widely used as it can hurt the enamel of your teeth.
Now, you know how to get whiter teeth with the use of home remedies. You can use any of these remedies to whiten your teeth. The remedies are very cheap and all the ingredients are readily available at home. So don’t wait much. Get ready to flash a bright smile and boost up your confidence with a set of whiter teeth. If you try it, let us know which remedy has helped you most to get whiter teeth?