To get shiny hair is every woman’s earnest desire. But due to certain factors, such as pollution, exposure to sun and dust, chlorinated water, nutritional deficiencies, using heating tools, dying the hair, frequent illness, stress, unhealthy lifestyle, etc, makes your hair lifeless and dull. If you have dull hair then don’t worry, there are some remedies which will help you to get shiny hair naturally.
The hair loses its shine when the outer layer of the hair that contains natural oil to moisturize and maintain the health of the hair, gets damaged. Then you experience hair fall, dandruff, split ends, and your hair becomes dry, tangled and dull.
8 Fabulous Remedies to Get Shiny Hair
If you want to have soft and shiny hair, then you need to put some extra effort to make them shiny. There are various hair care products available in the market, which are specially designed to get beautiful shiny hair, but the problem is that after using these products over a period of time, your hair will become dull, lifeless and frizzy.
Therefore, it is always best to go for natural ways, which may take some time to get the type of hair you want but without damaging your hair. So, try some home remedies, which are safe and effective to make your hair silky and shiny.
1. Deep Hair Nourishing Treatment
This treatment is very effective to have shiny hair. It is a combination of shea butter, honey and many natural and essential oils, which works as an excellent remedy for getting healthy hair.
These ingredients help in reducing the damages of chemical caused by the use of stylish hair products. It also works as a wonderful hair conditioner, which helps to reduce dryness of the hair by leaving them shiny, smooth and silky naturally.
Get shiny hair using deep hair nourishing treatment at home.
Process: Hair Mask
- Take 2 tbsp each of olive oil, castor oil, rosemary oil, coconut oil, almond oil, lavender oil and chamomile oil, and mix in a bowl.
- Take 1 cup of shea butter in another bowl and mix it with 1 tsp of honey and 2 tbsp each of jojoba, avocado and wheat germ oil.
- Now, combine all the ingredients of both the bowl and blend together.
- Apply this mask on your hair and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with an herbal shampoo, and allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Repeat this remedy once in every 7 or 10 days, and you will get shiny hair
Hibiscus promotes hair growth, increases blood circulation, delays premature graying and prevents hair fall.
Process-1: Hibiscus Leaf Extract
- Take 8-10 hibiscus leaves and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze these leaves and take out the gel in a bowl.
- Apply this gel on your hair and leave it for 1 hour.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash this gel.
- Follow this remedy once in a week to add luster to your hair.
Process-2: Hibiscus Flower
- Take few hibiscus flowers and remove its petals.
- Soak these petals in a bowl of water for whole night.
- Next day morning, grind these petals to make a smooth paste.
- Now add 2 tbsp of unprocessed milk and ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply this on your hair mainly on the roots.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash off with cool water.
- With repeated use, you will start seeing and feeling the difference in your hair.
3. Shiny Hair Mask
This hair mask is a combination of coconut oil, honey and peppermint oil and is a great moisturizing mask for your hair.
Coconut oil helps in conditioning and moisturizing your hair. It also gives more volume to your hair. Honey leaves your hair shiny and makes it soft, whereas, peppermint oil increases the blood circulation to your scalp, which helps in repairing the damaged hair shafts.
Let the coconut oil remedy works for you to get shiny hair instantly.
- Take 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of honey in a bowl.
- Add 4-5 drops of peppermint oil to it and mix it well.
- Warm this mixture in a microwave oven for 30 seconds.
- Apply this hair mask on your wet hair by covering the hair roots.
- Use a fine tooth comb to evenly distribute your hair and then tie your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 1-2 hrs.
- Wash your hair by using a shampoo and then condition your hair.
- This is a perfect treatment for shiny hair.
- You can repeat this process once in a week to make your hair shiny.
4. Herbal Rinse
This herbal rinse contains rosemary and lavender extracts, which not just make your hair soft and shiny, but also nourishes it by giving a nice fragrance to your hair.
- In a large pot, boil 4 cups of water.
- Once the water is boiled, remove it from the burner.
- Add 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp of borax to it and mix well.
- Add ½ cup each of dried rosemary and lavender to it.
- Stir it till the herbs become wet.
- Cover the pot and let it steep for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Once your liquid becomes caramel brown in color, strain the herbs and take the extract in a glass vessel.
- Store it in the fridge till you use it.
- Every time after shampooing and conditioning, take this liquid and rinse your hair with it by pouring it slowly so that it covers every hair strands.
- After that, rinse it again with plain water as this herbal rinse can leave some brown color in your hair.
- This herbal rinse can be used 1 or 2 times in a week. It will give extra shine to your hair.
Gelatin contains hydrolyzed protein, therefore it is very effective in treating dry and damaged hair. Moreover, it contains moisturizing properties, which give super shiny hair.
- Take 1 tbsp gelatin and mix it in 1 cup of warm milk.
- Mix the gelatin till it melts fully.
- Then add 1 tbsp vinegar and 3-4 drops of any essential oil to it (you can choose any one from rosemary, lavender or lemon essential oil).
- Stir the entire mixture properly and apply this on your scalp and hair.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it with lukewarm water.
- This method can be followed every week continuously to get soft and shiny hair.
6. Castor Oil and Egg Yolk
Castor oil is usually used for growing hair. It also repairs split ends and damaged hair. Egg is loaded with proteins and lecithin that help in nourishing your hair. Both the castor oil and egg yolk help in moisturizing the scalp and condition your hair.
- Take 1 egg yolk and mix it with 2 tsp of castor oil.
- Massage your hair with this mixture for few minutes.
- Leave your hair for 20 minutes and then rinse off with a shampoo.
- You can use this remedy weekly once or twice, depending on your hair condition.
7. Homemade Hair Shampoo
This natural homemade shampoo assists in moisturizing the hair, which makes your hair shiner and smoother. It also helps to stop hair fall.
Process-1: Fresh Lemon and Cucumber
Lemon is a good cleanser and cucumber helps in cooling your scalp.
For dry hair: Use more cucumbers
For oily hair: Use more lemons
- Take 2 lemons and remove the skin.
- Cut these lemons into half to remove the seeds.
- Then grind the lemon pieces and keep it in a bowl.
- Now take 1 cucumber and remove the skin.
- Grind the cucumber as well and mix it with the lemon pulp.
- Use this to massage your scalp and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Wash off with normal water.
- This is a natural shampoo, so you don’t need any other shampoo to wash your hair.
- Use this shampoo 2-3 times in a week till you get shiny hair naturally.
Process-2: Baking Soda
This remedy helps in restoring the pH level of your hair, which helps in maintaining healthy soft hair. It is specially recommended for oily hair as it helps in removing grease and dirt.
- Add 2 tbsp of baking soda in 1 cup of hot water and mix well.
- Use this solution on your wet hair and massage your scalp.
- Leave it for 2-3 minutes and then rise your hair with normal water.
- This can be used every week to help the oily hair to become soft and shiny.
8. Tea Wash
By washing your hair with green tea or black tea helps in getting silky and shiny hair. If your hair is dry and rough, then use warm tea water to wash your hair.
Caffeine content in the tea decreases the hormone level, which causes hair fall. It also gives a dark brown tinge to your hair.
Process-1: Green Tea
- Boil 2-3 cups of water and add 2-3 tbsp of green tea to it.
- Stir it well and steep for 10-20 minutes.
- Strain the tea and rinse your hair with the tea when it is lukewarm.
- Washing your hair with green tea regularly helps to get glossy hair.
Process-2: Black Tea
- Take 3-4 tea bags and add 3 cups of boiling water to it (The quantity of tea bags and water depend on your hair length and volume).
- Allow it to steep overnight and then pour this tea water on your cleansed hair.
- Tie your hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Allow the water to settle in your hair for about 20-30 minutes.
- Then wash your hair and use a conditioner after that.
- You can use this remedy 1 or 2 times in a week to make your hair shiny and silky.
[Also Read:How to Get Straight Hair]
Further Tips for Shiny Hair
These additional tips will help you in fulfilling your desire of having silky shiny hair.
- Avoid shampooing frequently as it may lead to dry hair.
- Regularly go for trimming to avoid split ends.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin C, zinc, biotin and iron as it leads to healthy and shiny hair.
- Comb or brush your hair gently and don’t comb while your hair is wet as it damages your hair.
- Use honey hair spray for dry hair as it will add extra shine to your hair.
- Always cover your hair with a scarf while going out to protect your hair from sun and pollution.
- Don’t use hair products, which contain sodium lauryl sulphate as it leads to hair loss.
- Avoid using blow dryers for drying your hair as it reduces the smoothness of your hair. Instead, allow your hair to dry naturally.
- While purchasing shampoos, conditioners and serums, always check the label and go for products which contain organic ingredients.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel mask on your scalp and hair regularly as it maintains healthy, silky hair.
- Use conditioners every time after using shampoo, which helps in nourishing and moisturizing the hair.
- Never sleep with wet hair as it increases hair loss.
- Avoid taking stress, which affects the health of the hair and leads to hair loss and dandruff.
- Take plenty of water, which helps to moisturize your body as well as the scalp.
- Massage your scalp and hair with coconut oil, sunflower and wheat germ oil regularly.
- Apply mayonnaise or yogurt regularly to your hair as they work as natural conditioners, which help to keep your hair soft, smooth and shiny.
- Regularly go for hot oil treatments for maintaining healthy scalp and hair.
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and mix it in a glass of water regularly as it helps to strengthen your hair or you can even wash your hair with this solution often.
These home remedies and tips that are mentioned above are very effective to maintain healthy hair as they all are suggested and tried by many hair experts. If you always worried about your hair, then follow these remedies and tips to get this amazing, smooth, soft and shiny hair naturally all by yourself.