Thinking of mice itself makes me insane…we can understand how frustrating your life would be by sharing the same apartment or the house with these nasty mice. You must be searching for how to get rid of mice from your house. It can be done naturally without using any toxic chemicals.
Mice are not just those nuisance creating tiny animals, but also carry diseases, like plague along with them. It can spread through fleas and mites, finally finding their way to your pets, increasing the problem even more. Therefore, it is so important to know how to get rid of mice before they can multiply and cause more damages.
How to Get rid of Mice Naturally
Here, we are going to share some home remedies with you that are affordable and at the same time efficient enough to get rid of mice in your apartment, house, garage, yard, attic, or anywhere else you find mice.
1. Peppermint Oil for Mice Extermination
Peppermint oil offers one of the fastest ways to get rid of mice. It is a natural mouse repellent, which is absolutely safe for humans and for kids or pets if they are at home. Only thing is you must use 100% pure peppermint oil.
- Peppermint oil- few drops
- Cotton balls – A few
Process: Natural Mouse Repellent
- Take few cotton balls, and sprinkle few drops of peppermint oil on each of the cotton balls.
- Place these balls in the areas where you find mice most of the times.
- This oil evaporates quickly so you must keep changing cotton balls after few hours.
- This remedy, which uses peppermint oil, helps in getting rid of the mice without even killing them.
- If you are troubled by mice entering your car, then you can follow the same process to get rid of mice in cars.
- Follow this remedy several times in a day for a couple of weeks for total mice extermination.
2. Carbonated Soft Drinks
Soft drinks like Pepsi and Coca-Cola helps in avoiding mice infestation. This is a simple remedy and is not harmful to human beings as well as to the environment.
How does it Work?
It is a fact about mice that they are unable to free their bodies from carbon dioxide, and if they drink soft drinks, they cannot burp and release the gas from their body and in this process, they will die. This remedy works by killing the mice.
- Small dishes/bowls- A few
- Any carbonated drink- 3 to 5 tbsp for each bowl
- Take few small dishes/bowls and pour 3-5 tbsp of any carbonated drinks like Pepsi or Coca Cola in each bowl.
- Place these bowls near the passages, cupboards, corridors, dustbins, under the sink, etc., and mice will get attracted with the sweetness of the drink.
- The moment they will drink this, within few minutes they will die because of the inability to pass carbon dioxide from their body.
- Follow this remedy whenever you find mice or rats in your homes. It will help you to kill them fast.
[Also Read:How to Get Rid of Ants Naturally]
3. Homemade Mouse Repellent
The homemade mouse repellents give the perfect answer to the question how to get rid of mice. The mouse repellants that are discussed below, work best for outdoor, and thus help you to get rid of field mice in the yard.
- Castor oil- 2 tbsp
- Plastic bowl – 1
- Liquid dish washing soap- 6 tbsp
- Tabasco sauce- 1 tsp
- Garlic clove-1
- Water- 1 quart
Process: Using Castor Oil
- In a plastic bowl, take 2 tbsp of castor oil (use a disposable bowl or don’t use the bowl again).
- Add 6 tbsp of liquid dish washing soap, and 1 tsp of Tabasco sauce to it.
- Also, chop 1 garlic clove and add to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients by adding 1 quart of water to it.
- Now, place this mixture around the holes of the rats or mice.
- This process can be repeated for few days to get rid of field mice.
- Every time make a fresh mixture use.
- Repeat this process especially after each rain to prevent mice and rats.
4. Homemade Mice Poison
Making mice poison at home is safe rather than buying it from outside, which can be poisonous and cause harm to your pets if they eat it by mistake. So, here is how to get rid of mice using a safest remedy.
- Corn flour
- Dry cement powder
- Flat dish -1
- Take equal quantity of corn flour and dry cement powder in a flat dish (the quantity of the corn flour and dry cement powder depends on your requirement).
- Mix them, and place it in the corner place of your house.
(You can keep this poison at 3-4 places in your house where mice are found often).
- Once the mice will eat this powder, they will go outside in search of water.
- Cement powder will react in a short time, and the mice will die quickly.
- This poison is very effective in killing mice outside your house.
- You can try this remedy whenever you want to get rid of mice at your place.
5. Homemade Mice Trap
Mouse traps are available in the market, but can be a bit expensive and sometimes these mouse traps kill the mice, but can be hideous if you don’t want to kill them.
But with the homemade mice trap, it’s not the case, as this trap keeps the mice alive; it’s a humane way to get rid of mice.
- Any food particle
- Water – half a bucket
- Cardboard – a piece
Process: Mice Trap
- Make sure that there is no food lying around your house open and clean all the food storage area in order to deprive the mice of food. For baiting mice, you can choose from these foods, such as peanut butter, cakes, a small piece of banana or bacon (pork), raisins, and doughnuts.
- Take half bucket of water, which will help to catch hold of a mouse when it falls.
- If you want to kill the mouse, then you can fill the bucket with boiling water or by putting glue inside.
- Now, take a piece of cardboard, and cut it into a rectangular shape and place this piece on a counter in such a way that when the mice come to eat food, it will fall into the bucket.
- Make sure to choose a thin cardboard, and it should overhang the counter.
- Take any food discussed above as mice are very fond of such foods and place it on the end of the cardboard which is hanging on the counter and will entrap the mouse.
- Place the bucket below the cardboard. This will work when the mouse gets the smell of the food and in order to catch the food it will go and get caught itself.
- Follow this remedy daily or till few days until you catch hold of all the mice in your house.
[Also Read:Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas]
6. Homemade Mice Repellent Sprays
Mice repellent sprays are available in the market, but they contain chemicals, which can be harmful to the kids and pets at home. But, you can make your own mice repellent spray, which is natural and safe for kids and pets at home.
Method-1: Mice Spray
- Liquid detergent-1/2 cup
- Tabasco sauce-1tbsp
- Water- 1 gallon
- Spray bottle – 1
- Take ½ cup of liquid detergent and add 1 tbsp of Tabasco sauce to it.
- Mix it with 1 gallon of water.
- Put this mixture in a spray bottle and use it to spray to the holes or near the area where you find mice mostly.
- It is recommended to spray this natural repellent after each rain to kill mice staying inside your home.
Method-2: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar-1/2 liter
- Spray bottle – 1
- Water- 2 liters
- In a spray bottle, mix half a liter of apple cider vinegar with 2 liters of water.
- Shake it, and spray it in the areas where you find mice mostly.
- This mouse repellent spray can be used at any time, and using this continuously for several times in a day will exterminate the mice.
- It is one of the best ways to get rid of mice in your house, as it is safe and effective.
Method-3: Essential Oils
- Peppermint oil
- Tea tree oil- few drops
- Spearmint oil- few drops
- Spray bottle – 1
- In a spray bottle take equal quantity of pure peppermint oil and water.
- You can also add few drops of tea tree oil and spearmint oil to it and shake well.
- Now, use this to spray this liquid in your shoe racks, cupboards, storehouse, under the sink area and passages or wherever you find mice are swarming the most.
- Spray it for few days or whenever necessary and mice will run away from your house, as they can’t stand the smell of peppermint oil.
- This is one of the best methods to get rid of mice permanently.
7. Diffusing Essential Oils
By diffusing essential oils, you can clear your rat-infested houses or apartments. This remedy is very effective in eradicating rats from your house without killing them. Within 24 hours, you will find all the rats leaving your house, and they will not return back.
- Diffuser – 1
- Any essential oil (from the mint family)- few drops
- Get a diffuser and place any essential oils from the mint family, which are effective to get rid of the mice.
- You can choose peppermint, spearmint, lemongrass, basil, catnip oil whereas peppermint oil is recommended if you want to get rid of mice
- The mouse does not like the smell of mint-based essential oils, so they will leave your house soon.
- This process can be followed if your home is infested with rats, which will help to clear out all sorts of mice and rats from your compound.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites]
8. Ultrasonic Mice Repellent
This is one of the best ways to control mice. Mouse repellent machine makes beep sounds, which is found to be intolerable to mice, but is tolerable for humans and other pets. It is one of the humane ways of getting rid of mice without even killing them.
- Ultrasonic machine
- Place this machine near the walls in your house to get rid of mice in walls.
- Or you can place it anywhere in your house where you find more mice.
- Use this machine daily for a couple of days till all the mice leave your house.
- It is always best to use it after rains to prevent infestation of mice.
Tips to Control and Prevent Mice at Home
Below are some tips, which will help you to get rid of mice at home permanently. Also, by following them regularly you will be able to prevent mice entering your premises.
- Mice always come to the house in search of food and shelter. So, keep your food stored in air-tight containers. Do not keep any food outside on the platform. Clean even the smallest particles of food.
- Keeps your house clean to avoid mice getting into it.
- If there is any crack in the home or you find any holes, then seal it, otherwise, it will be an open invitation for mice to come and dwell there.
- If you know mice are there in your home, but not able to find their hiding spot, then sprinkle some talcum powder in the passages to see the footprints of the mice.
- Throw out all the junk from your house like piles of newspapers, magazines, waste plastic bottles, cupboards, unwanted shoes etc.
- You can use glue boards to catch a number of mice simultaneously, but it makes the mice to torment before dying.
- While sweeping the floor by a mop, add some drops of peppermint oil to the water as the smell of the oil will spread throughout your house making the mice uncomfortable and forcing them to leave the house soon.
- Always pick up the leftover foods from your pet’s bowl.
- Kitchen area should always be clean. Wipe out the platform to remove even the smallest food particles.
- Empty the trash can and wash vessels daily in the night before going to sleep.
- Keep your yard always clean as pet feces attract mice to get inside your house.
These remedies and tips are very powerful in exterminating the mice from your house or apartments. If you find even a single mouse, follow any of these remedies. Do not delay because if you wait then the problem will become worse.
If the number of mice is many and you are unable to chase them out, then hire a professional mouse exterminator to get rid of mice.