John was feeling uneasy since the past two days, but suddenly he started experiencing pain in the abdominal area, followed by heartburn. So immediately he went to the doctor and explained him about the problem.
The doctor got surprised when John told that he did not defecate since two days. After checking everything and discussing the symptoms, the doctor told that John is actually suffering from constipation.
Constipation is a disorder, which is related to the digestive system. Anybody can get affected by constipation as it is not restricted to a particular age. Approximately 2% of the total population of the US gets affected by constipation every year.
So, let us look in detail about what causes constipation and how to get rid of constipation using home remedies.
What Causes Constipation
Causes of constipation can be anything right from an unhealthy diet to less physical activity. For the proper functioning of the digestive system, the body needs a lot of water, digestive bacteria and a healthy diet.
If you are suffering from constipation, then it can be due to many reasons. Let’s have a look at some of the common causes of constipation.
Low Intake of Water- If your daily intake of water is low, then soon you will be trapped by constipation as low intake of water is one of the major causes of constipation.
Improper Diet- Fiber-rich diet is required for proper functioning of the digestive system and formation of excreta. The diet with less fiber content often leads to constipation.
Frequent Travelling or Stress- If you are travelling frequently and if you are under stress then this might change your defecation habits. During travelling or when are stressed, the intake of food becomes irregular, which causes the discontinuation of the digestive process.
Less Physical Activities- Physical activities boost up the need of energy in the body. This in turn boosts up the digestive system to break down the food and convert it into energy. Low physical activities lower down the functioning of this process, thus affects the digestive system.
Pregnancy- Pregnancy is one of the reasons behind constipation. During pregnancy, the level of progesterone hormone increases in the body, which relaxes the smooth muscles of the digestive tract. This process develops digestive issues, which in turn makes you suffer from constipation.
Other Health Disorders- The other reasons of constipation are Hypothyroidism or Parkinson’s disease. Many people suffer from constipation due to the intake of drugs or strong pain killers. The colon cancer patients often suffer from constipation.
Symptoms of Constipation
Constipation is normally observed when you are not able to or you have to take a lot of effort to pass the stools. The constipation symptoms are as follows:
- Hard bowel movement.
- Difficulty in defecating.
- Pain in the abdominal region followed by swelling in the abdomen.
- Headache and heartburn.
- Some people suffer from mouth ulcer and vomiting due to constipation.
- Many people also feel depressed and uneasy throughout the day when they suffer from constipation.
- Loss of appetite is also one of the common symptoms of constipation.
Constipation and Back Pain
Is back pain related to constipation? Yes, in some ways back pain has a connection with constipation.
During constipation, the patient faces difficulty in pooping, which makes him or her to apply a lot of force. The force that is exerted to clear the waste out of the body has an adverse impact on the back. The strain on the lower back due to the pressure causes lower back pain.
Some people also experience pain in the hip and leg area due to constipation. The fecal material, which is stored in your body, also increases the stress level within your body causing back pain.
So if you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and if you are suffering from back pain, then be sure that it is related.
The best possible way to treat the back pain due to constipation is to stop exerting too much force while defecating. Treat the constipation problem and automatically you will get relief from back pain.
Home Remedies for Constipation
Home remedies for constipation will help you to get rid of this problem in a natural way. Many fruits, vegetables and herbs solve this issue quickly as well as effectively. You just have to continue the intake of these ingredients in the right quantity for few days.
Remedial Drinks for Constipation Issues
As one of the causes of constipation is less intake of water, it is suggested to increase the intake of juices and fluid to treat constipation.
Some of the ingredients can be consumed in the form of drinks to increase the fluid level in the body. Apart from that the medicinal properties of the ingredients also trigger the digestive system.
Coffee is Good for Constipation
Many people start their day by sipping a cup of hot coffee. But do you know, coffee can also help you to get constipation relief. The caffeine content in the coffee stimulates the digestive system, thus treats the constipation problem effectively.
- Milk – ½ cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Coffee powder – 1 tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- The coffee recipe for constipation is similar to the normal coffee. Just you have to make it strong.
- Take ½ cup of milk, add ½ cup of water to it and boil for a while.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar along with 1 tsp of coffee powder.
- Boil this mixture for some time with a lid on the pan.
- Open the lid and boil it by continuously stirring the mixture.
- Filter the coffee and have this hot relaxing drink.
- Just have 1 or 2 cups of coffee in a day. Excessive intake of coffee might dehydrate you and hamper the digestive system.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Upset Stomach]
Honey- A Sweet Solution for Constipation
Honey is used as a remedy for many skin related issues, but it is interesting that you can also use honey to treat constipation.
Honey is laxative in nature and act as a stimulant to the digestive system. This action causes normal bowel movement.
- Lukewarm water – 1 glass
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Take 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey to it.
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice to this mixture.
- Stir it well and let the honey mix well in the warm water.
- Drink the solution first in the morning on an empty stomach.
- This remedy will help to relieve constipation within 1-2 days.
Lemon Juice- A Reliving Drink for Constipation
Lemon juice has a detoxifying property, which eliminates the excessive cholesterol, fat and toxin from the body.
It also acts as a moisturizing element for the stools. Thus, it can treat the constipation problem. It will help to get things moving by stimulating the digestive system.
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Salt -½ tsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Take 1 glass of warm water.
- Add 2 tbsp lemon juice and ½ tsp of salt to it.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey to it for good taste.
- Mix it well and drink this in the morning on an empty stomach daily to get rid of constipation.
Aloe Vera Juice- A Soothing Drink for Constipation
Aloe vera juice acts as an effective stimulant and laxative. The fluid in aloe vera makes the stool softer and reduces constipation. Aloe vera juice also strengthens the intestinal musculature and help in digestion of proteins.
- Aloe vera juice – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Take 2 tbsp of aloe vera juice (aloe vera juice is readily available in the organic store). You can also use aloe vera gel, but use it in a less concentrated form.
- Add aloe vera juice to 1 glass of water.
- Add honey as per your preference.
- Drink the liquid early in the morning on an empty stomach daily to relieve constipation.
[Also Read:Mustard For Heartburn]
How to Get Rid of Constipation with Olive Oil Drink
Containing antioxidants, iron, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, vitamin E and K, olive oil improves the health of the digestive tract. It stimulates the intestines and improves the bowel movements.
The action of the olive oil on the digestive system prevents and cures constipation. You can also replace olive oil with castor oil as per the availability of the oil.
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Take 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to it and mix. Drink this on an empty stomach in the morning to get rid of constipation.
[Also Read:Top 11 Home Remedies for Stomach Ache]
Baking Soda- An Alkaline Drink
Baking soda is a multipurpose ingredient, which is very helpful to treat many health issues. The alkaline nature of baking soda reduces the acid level in the stomach.
It also helps in the passage of air out of you. Baking soda will provide you relief from the pain due to pressure created in the stomach. It makes the passage of stool, quick and painless.
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Lukewarm water – ¼ glass
- Take ¼ glass of lukewarm water.
- Mix 1 tsp of baking soda in it.
- Drink this solution quickly and it will start working immediately.
- Prefer to take this drink when you feel uneasy due to constipation.
Epsom Salt- Get a Magnesium Dose for Constipation
Epsom salt has a property of softening up your stools, which makes it easier to pass. It is also well known for its high magnesium content, which leads to the contraction of bowel muscles.
This action makes it easy for you to take the waste out of your body. Epsom salt shows quick results and reduces the pain of constipation.
- Water or any fruit juice – 1 cup
- Epsom salt – 2 tsp
- Take 1 cup of water or any fruit juice of your choice.
- Add 2 tsp of Epsom salt to it and mix well
- Drink the solution to get relief by defecating within 4 hours.
- Take this drink twice a day if you are not able to take waste out of your body after taking the first dose of this drink.
- This is one of the best natural remedies for constipation which will treat the issue instantly.
Amla Juice- An Effective Remedy for Constipation
Amla is normally used to improve digestion and treat the loss of appetite. It is very useful to cure constipation. It stimulates the digestion system, as it has a natural laxative property.
- Amla powder – 1 to 2 tsp
- Lukewarm water – 1glass
- Pinch of salt or sugar
- Take 2 tsp of amla powder.
- Mix it with 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- Add a pinch of sugar and salt to improve the taste of the drink.
- Drink it in the morning before your breakfast or you can have it before bedtime at night.
- Drink it twice a day to improve the digestion system and relieve constipation
Dandelions has special constituents which makes it laxative and very effective on constipation. It acts as a detoxifier and beneficial to digest the processed food. Here is the process to use dandelion tea for constipation
- Dandelion leaves- 2 tsp (dried)
- Water- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Take 1 cup of water in a small container.
- Add 2 tsp of dandelion leaves to it and heat it on a medium flame.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar to the mixture and stir it continuously.
- Heat the liquid for 5- 10 minutes and then strain it.
- Enjoy the hot dandelion tea to get rid of constipation
- You can drink this tea twice a day if constipation is not cured in one dose.
How to Get Rid of Constipation with Prune Juice
Prune juice is a popular home remedy for constipation. It contains high amount of fiber along with sorbitol, which efficiently treat the constipation issue. It makes the digestion of carbohydrate easy and soften the stool. The passage of stool become easy after the intake of prune juice.
Prune juice is readily available in the organic stores. If you want to prepare the prune juice at home, then here is the recipe for you.
- Prune- ½ cup (dried)
- Hot water- 2 cups
- Sugar- 2 tsp
- A blender
- Take 2 cups of water and boil it for 5-10 minutes.
- Take ½ cup of dried prune in a small container and add 2 cups of hot water to it.
- Keep the mixture aside and let the prune soak overnight.
- Next morning blend the entire mixture until you get a smooth liquidly paste.
- Filter the liquid to remove the unprocessed solid part.
- Now, add 2 tsp of sugar to the juice and stir it.
- Here, your homemade prune juice is ready!
- Drink it twice a day on an empty stomach to treat chronic constipation.
Castor oil is best to improve the bowel movement when you are suffering from constipation. It act as a laxative stimulant and provides quick relief from constipation. You can combine it with orange juice to increase its utility and benefits.
- Castor oil- 2 tsp
- Orange juice- 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of orange juice and add 2 tsp of castor oil to it.
- Stir it well and consume it on an empty stomach.
- Repeat the process twice a day to get rid of chronic constipation.
Hot Milk with Butter
Warm milk is very useful to push the stool out of your digestive track. The combination of milk and butter eases the movement of stool in the intestinal area and provides relief from constipation.
- Hot milk – 1 glass
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Take 1 glass of hot milk and add 1 tbsp of butter to it.
- Stir it well and drink it at night before going to bed.
- You will quickly get relief from constipation.
[Also Read:Milk For Heartburn]
Other Effective Remedies for Constipation
Still looking for how to get rid of constipation quickly? If drinks remedy for constipation does not work for you then there are many other remedies that include supportive ingredients to improve the digestive process.
The ingredients, such as fennel seeds, figs, grapes and much more provide the necessary support to the breaking down process of the food to generate energy.
Fennel Seeds to Treat Constipation
Fennel seeds are useful for digestion as it leads to the smooth muscle movement of the digestive tract. It is one of the most reliable remedies for the treatment of bloating, indigestion and constipation.
- Fennel seeds – 1 cup
- Take 1 cup of fennel seeds.
- Roast them to dry or just till their color changes a bit.
- Don’t roast it excessively.
- Grind the roasted fennel seeds to make a fine powder.
- Eat ½ tsp of this powder daily or drink it by mixing it with a glass of warm water.
- Use this remedy to get relief from severe constipation.
Figs- A Fiber Rich Diet
Figs are rich in fiber. The intake of fiber leads to the proper formation of excreta. The skin of the fig contains a lot of calcium and fiber. Figs are recommended as a remedy for chronic constipation issues.
- Dried figs – 3
- Almonds – 2-3
- Take 3 dried figs and 2-3 almonds.
- Soak them for a minimum of 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Grind the soaked almonds and figs to make a paste.
- You can eat 1 tbsp of this paste directly.
- For better results, mix 1 tbsp of this paste with honey.
- Take the dose at night before bedtime.
- Take this dose for one week to improve your digestion.
Flax Seed for Chronic Constipation
Flax seed is also the one of the recommended remedy for chronic constipation. It is rich in fiber and has fatty acids, which provides it a medicinal property to treat constipation.
If you have a regular digestion issue, include flax seeds in your daily diet to avoid constipation problem.
- Flax seed – 1 tbsp
- Orange juice – 1 glass
- Take 1 tbsp of flax seeds.
- It has 2-3 methods to use it.
- You can grind the flax seeds and eat the powder.
- Or you can mix the powder with 1 glass of orange juice and drink it daily.
- The daily dose of flax seed powder should be just one tablespoon.
- Don’t use it repeatedly. Only 1 dose in a day is sufficient to get rid of constipation.
- Eat the flax seed powder regularly to improve the digestive system.
Grapes or Raisins to Treat Constipation
Rich in fiber content, grapes eases the bowel movement and softens the stool. It is also a remedy for chronic constipation.
- Fresh grapes – 1 small bowl
- Eat 1 small bowl of grapes before breakfast.
- The grape juice with warm water can also be used.
- You can replace grapes with raisins.
- Overnight soaked raisins are also used as a remedy for constipation.
- The use of grapes will reduce the constipation issues in 3-4 days.
- Take 2-3 overnight soaked raisins early in the morning for one week to get relief from constipation problem.
Spinach- For Cleansing Digestion Tract
Cleansing and reconstruction of the intestinal tract can be done using spinach. The intake of spinach is very good for clearing the digestive tract and lower down the pain caused by constipation.
- Spinach – 1 small bowl
- Take 1 small bowl of raw spinach.
- Sprinkle some salt on it and have it in the raw form.
- You can also go for spinach juice diluted in ½ glass of water.
- Have the juice twice daily to reduce constipation issues.
- If you are eating raw spinach then eat 1 bowl full of spinach once in a day.
- Continue to take spinach for 3-4 day to get quick relief from constipation.
Molasses- High Magnesium for Bowel Movement
Molasses consists of high content of magnesium, calcium and iron. It is the best natural laxative, which helps your bowel move naturally. It also provides nourishment as well.
- Blackstrap molasses – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Peanut butter – 3 tbsp
- Take 2-3 tbsp of blackstrap molasses.
- Add an equal quantity of peanut butter to it.
- Mix it well to create a homogenous paste.
- Eat it every day early in the morning for 3-4 days. Increase the dose if the constipation persists.
Probiotic Yogurt- Friendly Bacteria
Probiotics are considered as “friendly bacteria”. We normally have them in our body in the digestive system. The same kind of bacteria’s is naturally present in yogurt.
- Yogurt – 1 to 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Take 2 cups of yogurt.
- Mix either 1 tsp sugar or 1 tsp salt in it as per your taste.
- Eat the yogurt with your breakfast or snacks.
- Take this dose once in a day to help your digestive system to carry out the digestion process properly.
Simple Remedies for Constipation
It is amazing that consumption of some fruit and vegetables can provide quick relief from constipation. These home remedies for constipation are very easy to prepare but effective in terms of results.
You can also use some of these remedies to treat constipation problem in children.
Fenugreek Seeds- Soak 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water overnight. Next morning strain the seeds from water and drink it. You will immediately get rid of constipation.
Sesame Seeds- Sesame seeds are useful to treat the constipation issue. Just keep eating ½ tbsp of sesame seeds twice a day to say goodbye to constipation.
Coconut Water- The intake of coconut water promotes the bowel movement in your body. Drink 2 glasses of coconut water twice a day to treat constipation at home.
Cabbage- The fiber content of cabbage makes it suitable for constipation treatment. Drink 1 glass of cabbage juice in the morning or eat cabbage in salads to get rid of constipation instantly.
Radish- How to relieve constipation – is it a big question for you? Well, then have you ever tried eating radish? if not then try it today. It will work like a miracle for you and you will quickly get rid of constipation.
Just take one fresh radish and peel it. Now, cut it into small slices and eat them. Drink a glass of warm water after the intake of radish. The constipation will vanish in no time.
Okra- Want to clear the bowels instantly? Try okra. It is also well known as ladies finger. The fibrous composition of okra act as a stimulant for bowel movement.
Make some fine slices of ladies finger and soak it in hot water for 1-2 hours. Eat the soaked slices of ladies finger and drink the water as well. In no time you will get rid of constipation.
Mango- This is a yummy remedy to give you relief from constipation. The mango tastes good and at the same time promotes the clearance of bowel from the body.
Just eat one mango in the morning in the breakfast to solve the issue of constipation. You can also drink mango juice or mango milk shake as a treatment for constipation.
Banana- The consumption of banana is considered as the most healthy way to keep your bowel clear. The nutrient-rich banana will make you healthy and at the same time will make your stool soft.
Eat one ripe banana in breakfast when you are suffering from constipation. You will definitely get quick relief from the issue.You can use this remedy to treat the constipation during pregnancy as it provides nutrition as well as treats constipation.
Guava- The pieces of guava with rock salt is a good idea when chronic constipation troubles you. This excellent fruit will promote the bowel movement and in no time you will get relief from uneasiness.
It is also a good solution on stomach ache due to constipation. Kids love it, thus can be used as a remedy to treat constipation issues in children.
Wood Apple- Are you suffering from severe constipation, which you feel is difficult to treat? Well, then you must consume wood apple, which will cure the constipation issue for sure.
Take one wood apple and take out the pulp with the help of a spoon in a bowl. Mash it properly and add some water to it. Strain it to remove the seeds and drink the juice. Add sugar or honey for taste.
Use this remedy for one week to get rid of chronic constipation.
Preventive Methods to Avoid Constipation
The prevention of constipation is easy and methods are good for health. The preventive methods not only help to avoid constipation, but also, keep you healthy.
- Drink a lot of water before your meal. Adults must drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Include fiber-rich foods, such as carrots, potatoes and beans in your diet.
- Eat fresh fruits daily to maintain a good fluid level in your body.
- Get moving! Daily exercise or physical activity will improve your digestive system.
- Lower down the intake of caffeinated drinks.
- Enjoy your life. Do not take stress.
- Practice yoga or meditation to lower down the stress and improve digestion.
If you are suffering from constipation, the first thing you have to implement is not to get panic. The stress level adversely affects the digestive system.
Start developing the habit of drinking a lot of water. Don’t put too much pressure on your muscles for exertion. Don’t overdo the remedies. Provide some time to the ingredients to act on the digestive issue.
Along with constipation, if you are suffering from continuous vomiting, then consult the doctor as it might have caused due to some other health issues.
So, hope you got the answer for how to get rid of constipation at home. Constipation is easy to treat with the given home remedies.
So, which home remedy are you going to use for constipation – the yummy juices or any of the other remedies? Keep us posted your opinion and experiences.