Almost everyone complains about bloating. It is disturbing 10 to 30% of adults worldwide and this is such a health condition, which if not treated in time can lead to serious health problems.
Are you one in them who is disturbed by a bloated tummy? Then this article will meet your requirements as it will help you to get rid of bloating very fast.
What is Bloating?
It is a very uncomfortable situation, where you will feel as if your tummy is tight, full and swollen.
What Causes Bloating?
Bloating or gas formation in the tummy is a sign of indigestion, where the food does not get digested properly by the digestive system. Sometimes, less intake of water can cause extreme stomach bloating, as it slows down the fat cells to empty the stomach. Therefore, it is always important to drink plenty of water before and after every meal. However, there are certain dairy products and foods that cause bloating.
The most common causes of bloating are:
- Lactose intolerance
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ovulation and menstruation
- Gaseous food items
- Food allergy
Symptoms of Bloating
Generally bloating come with symptoms like stomach pain, cramps, tight belly etc. The most common symptoms related to bloating are:
- Stomach cramps
- Back pain
- Painful stomach or sharp pain
- Swollen belly or tight stomach
- Gas, burps, and hiccups
- Shortness of breath (rarely)
How to Get Rid of Bloating Naturally?
You may discover various ways to reduce and treat bloating, and flatulence, but trying some simple home remedies for bloating will give you a big relief.
1. Grandmother’s Secret Recipe
Asafetida is an incredible spice, and an herbal remedy used for treating stomach disorders like indigestion, back pain, bloating, gas, continuous burping, and get rid of a stomach ache.
Cumin seed is another delightful spice, which has enzymes that help in breaking down the food, and therefore aid in digesting the food. The only granny knows the secret of combining both of these spices to get rid of the stomach related problems, but now you also know it!
Process: Asafetida Decoction
- Take 10 gm of asafetida in a dried gum form.
- Also, take 3 gm of cumin seed powder.
- Put these ingredients in a pan over a low flame with 200 ml of water.
- Boil it for 10-15 minutes or till the water is reduced to half.
- Now, allow it some time to become cool.
- Drink it now.
- Take this decoction whenever you are suffering from bloating and sharp stomach pain due to gas and indigestion.
- This will immediately reduce bloating and the associated pain by providing an instant relief.
2. Stress Detoxification
Medically, secretion of low hydrochloric acid (HCL) is responsible for indigestion, which leads to bloating and flatulence. Less HCL means more bloating and gas, and vice-versa.
But, who is behind all this? Stress is known to be the biggest factor for low stomach acid. Instead of digesting the food it leads to the indigestion of food.
So, here is a wonderful remedy by using lemon, turmeric, and ginger to keep you away from bloating after eating, which is caused due to stress.
Acidity in lemon increases the production of stomach acid, which helps to break down the food. It also helps the enzymes in livers to work more efficiently.
It has an anti-inflammatory property that works excellent in digesting the food.
Ginger helps in increasing the muscle quality around the intestines, which helps the stomach to move food down to the digestive tract.
Process: Stress Detox
- Take few lemons to make ½ cup of juice.
- Then take a small jar, and pour the lemon juice into it.
- Add 1tsp of turmeric powder to the lemon juice.
- Now, take 1 inch of ginger, and make 10 to 15 slices of it.
- Add the ginger slices into the lemon juice mixture.
- Chew one ginger slice soaked in the lemon juice mixture, 10 minutes before eating your food.
- This remedy works effectively to detoxify your whole body.
- Follow this remedy, especially before eating heavy foods, and you will notice less bloating and gas in your stomach.
Peppermint contains menthol that has an antispasmodic effect on the soft muscle of the digestive track. It is great for relaxing the churning stomach, and reducing the pain associated with gas and bloating.
Peppermint also offers a calming effect on the nerves, and so can soothe the aching stomach, which really feel the effect of uneasiness and anxiety. It aids in relieving the spasms in the gastrointestinal tract, bile duct or gallbladder.
Process: Peppermint Tea
- Put a peppermint tea bag in a cup.
- Heat a cup of water and pour the water over the tea bag in the cup.
- Now, cover the cup without removing the tea bag.
- Let it set for 15 minutes, and then take out the lid.
- Press the tea bag to get every drop of it, and then remove it.
- Enjoy every sip of your tea.
- If you do not like peppermint tea, then chew some fresh peppermint leaves to find relief from bloating.
- Drinking a cup of tea after dinner soothes flatulence, and assists the food to pass quickly through the stomach.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this tea every day to avoid bloating.
4. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seed is loaded with a diuretic, carminative and pain reducing qualities. It also contains anti-microbial properties. All these qualities of fennel seeds make it useful to treat digestive problems like stomach pain, or lower back pain apart from bloating and gas.
It reduces bloating by soothing muscle spasms of the digestive tract.
- Take some fennel seeds and always chew it after having a heavy meal.
- Or you can make a tea by adding 1 tsp of fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water.
- Cover up, and allow it to settle for 10 minutes.
- Strain it, and enjoy your tea.
- You can take this tea up to 3 times during a day to avoid or reduce the problem of bloating.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Constipation during Pregnancy]
5. Buttermilk, Rock Salt and Fruit Powder (Chebulic Myrobalan)
Using these 3 powerful ingredients helps to get rid of bloating, gas and mild constipation. This powerful home remedies also helps in improving digestion.
- Take 1 pinch of rock salt, and 1 tsp of fruit powder (Chebulic myrobalan).
- Add this into 100 ml of buttermilk.
- If you don’t have buttermilk at home, then make it by blending a cup of curd with 2 cups of water.
- Stir well, and drink it after eating food.
- Take this buttermilk 2-3 times in a day, and you will find quick relief from bloating and burping.
- Regularly taking buttermilk for 2-3 weeks will reduce the problem of constipation, bloating and indigestion.
- It is very good for digestion, particularly at night.
Caution: People suffering from high Blood Pressure should avoid using rock salt, instead they can use low sodium salt.
Chamomile tea is a further potent option to get relief from bloating. This herbal tea contains anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties, which are very useful in soothing the stomach.
Process: Chamomile Tea
- Put 1 cup of water to boil, and transfer it into a cup with chamomile tea bag.
- Put a lid on the cup, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Now, press the tea bag with a spoon in order to get every drop of it.
- You can add ½ tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey as per your taste.
- Drink this tea slowly, and take it 3 times a day in between the meals.
- Continue taking this tea for a month or two to avoid reoccurring of stomach
- It is also effective for heartburn.
Also known as aniseed, Anise has anti-spasmodic properties, which can help calm your digestive tract. It also has carminative properties, which assist to push out the build-up of gas in the digestive tract and decreases swelling in the stomach.
Process: Anise Tea
- Take 2 tsp of dried aniseed and pour a cup of boiling water to it.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day.
- You can even chew 1 tsp of aniseeds after eating meals.
- Intake of this tea regularly will help you treat the gas and bloating
- Anise is also helpful in giving relief from cramps and tightness in the stomach.
Caution: Expectant women and children should not take this herb as it can result in vomiting, spasm, and uneasiness.
Dandelion contains natural diuretics and laxative properties that help in regulating the digestive system. Intake of dandelion on a regular basis helps in getting rid of gas and bloating.
- Take 1 tsp of dried dandelion leaves, and stir it with a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes, and in between stir it with a spoon.
- Filter the tea, and if you like then add few drops of lemon and 1 tsp of honey to it.
- Drink this tea regularly for few weeks to prevent the problem of bloating.
Tips to Prevent Bloating
Here are few simple tips, if followed will help you to avoid, or stop the problem of bloating and gas.
- Have the diet rich in zinc or take capsules, which contain zinc. Zinc is an important mineral, which regulates the production of stomach acid that is helpful in digesting the food. People who are above 30 should take zinc, as stomach acid starts reducing after the age of 30.
- Avoid fast foods and carbonated drinks that contain a high amount of sugar and salt, which will increase the problem of bloating.
- Drink plenty of water every day, as water flushes out the sodium and other toxins from your stomach, and reduces the chances of bloating. Whenever you feel your tummy is tight or bloated, drink 1-2 liters of water immediately, and you will find quick relief from bloating.
- Avoid eating foods quickly. Chew your food slowly, else you will consume air along with the food, which gets caught up, and causes bloating.
- Drink fruit juices, soups, and herbal teas regularly, as it also aids in reducing bloating.
- Stop smoking as smoke goes inside your lungs and stomach and causes bloating.
- Working out or various physical activities daily helps to reduce your stress level. As discussed earlier stress is one of the main causes of bloating.
- Always have a small portion of meals, and don’t full yourself at once to avoid the problem of bloating and gas.
- Avoid carbohydrate foods and starches like fried chips, noodles, bakery items to prevent
- Consume foods rich in fiber, such as pumpkins and banana to reduce the problem of bloating and gas.
- Drinking warm lemon water every day, first thing in the morning prevents stomach related issues.
- While drinking milk, adding 1 tsp of turmeric powder also prevents bloating.
- Avoid chewing gums as the opening of your mouth frequently increases the intake of air, which gets trapped in your stomach and cause bloating.
With the help of these remedies and tips, you will quickly get rid of bloating and the embarrassing problem of passing gas at times.
If you are not finding any relief after trying these natural remedies, then check with your doctor right away as you may have gastroenteritis or some other health problems