Amelia faced severe acne problem during her adolescence. As she crossed that period, the acne issue subsided but left behind many scars on her face. Amelia was very fair, so the scars and dark spots were looking very ugly on her face. She tried many cosmetics, but they gave her more zits. She was just thinking if there was any natural remedy to get rid of acne scars fast, she would be the first one to try those remedies.
Like Amelia, are you facing the issues of acne scars? Are acne scars the only thing you notice on your face every time you look into the mirror? Do acne scars lower your confidence too?
Acne scar is a common problem, which a lot of young girls and guys face during their adolescence, teenage, and early twenties. Since the acne prone skin is delicate and sensitive to many OTC topical creams, they are scared to even try more. Natural remedies perhaps offer the simplest, cost-effective and side-effect free treatment for acne scars. Once you identify what type of acne scars you have, treating them with natural remedies won’t be like shooting in the dark.
What are Acne Scars?
Acne scars are the scars that severe inflammatory and painful acne leave behind. Acne cysts and nodules tend to penetrate deep into the skin and damage the skin. Some people who squeeze or pop their zits might also get acne scars because of the wound.
Types of Acne Scars:
Acne scars can be seen in different shapes, sizes, and colors. Understanding the type of your acne scars can help you treat them better.
- Pitted or Depressed Acne Scars: As the name suggests, these scars make pits or depressions on the skin. The scars are of 3 types.
- Rolling Scars: These are broad pits, which have rounded and sloping edges in the skin. Rolling acne is more common in people who have had patchy inflammatory acne for a very long time. The rolling scars become more obvious as your skin grows older and starts to lose its elasticity.
- Boxcar Scars: These are broad pits that are squarer and have defined edges. Since the box scars are more pronounced than rolling scars, it is more difficult to treat them.
- Icepick Scars: These are narrow but deep pits. They are more conical like an ice-cream cone. These scars, unlike the boxcar and rolling scars, do not remain on the top of the collagen-rich scar tissue; they penetrate deeper rupturing the subcutaneous tissue, preventing its healing.
- Raised Scars or Hypertrophic Scars: These scars are different from the depressed scars. They rise above the skin surface because the excess scar tissue forms at the places of inflammatory acne.
- Hyper-pigmentation or Hypo-pigmentation Acne Scars: Acne can result in abnormal discoloration of the skin leaving behind dark or light spots. Hyper-pigmentation is a condition where the melanocytes end up producing extra melanin (the pigment that gives the skin its natural color) and that is why you can see some brownish spots on your skin. In hypo-pigmentation, certain melanocytes are depleted due to acne damages and lose their ability to produce melanin, resulting in light or white looking patches on the skin.
- Permanent Red Scars: Permanent red scars or Erythema is a post-inflammatory condition when the small blood capillaries near the skin surface get dilated permanently. That is why you can see small red patches or dots.
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars Fast?
To get rid of acne scars, you can follow two-course remedial actions. Healing from inside is equally important as healing from the outside.
1. Dietary Remedies:
Human skin has a miraculous ability to heal itself. There are certain foods that can help the healing process of the skin wounds and acne scars. A balanced and nutritious diet, plenty of water and fluids, and regular exercise can help heal the skin from within.
1. Collagen Rebuilding Foods:
Collagen is one of the building blocks of our skin along with hyaluronic acid and elastin. Collagen along with keratin helps to give the skin elasticity, smoothness, strength, and resilience. It helps the acne scars heal faster. Certain foods help increase the collagen levels in your skin.
- Soy products like soymilk and soy cheese contain genistein that blocks the enzymes that damage and age the skin.
- Leafy green vegetables, such as spinach, cabbage, and kale not only contain a good amount of Vitamin C but also an antioxidant called lutein. Including these greens in your daily diet will increase your capacity to manufacture collagen, which will keep your skin healthy.
- Beans are rich in hyaluronic acid, which has anti-aging properties. Include broad or butter beans in your diet.
- Red fruits and vegetables like red peppers, chili peppers, tomatoes, and carrots contain lycopene that can act as your skin’s natural sunscreen and protect it from sun damage.
[Also Read:How To Get Rid of Acne]
2. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A or retinol promotes cell generation in the skin and prevent the formation of comedones that block the pores, which lead to acne. It makes your skin smooth and helps heal skin conditions like wounds, acnes, sunburn and scars quickly. Foods like liver, cod liver oil, kidney, dairy cream and butter, eggs and chicken are rich in Vitamin A.
3. Foods Rich in Zinc:
Zinc helps repair the structure of proteins and cell membranes. This helps in healing wounds, reduce inflammation and protection against UV radiation. Zinc supplements are commonly prescribed to people with serious inflammatory acne. Organ meats like kidney, liver; red meat like lamb and beef; and sea foods like oysters, scallops and shellfish are rich in dietary sources of zinc.
4. Foods Rich in Vitamin C:
Vitamin C also helps healing of skin wounds and helps in building of strong scar tissues. It also protects your skin against sun damage. It also prevents water loss. Foods like bell peppers, dark leafy green vegetables, broccoli, thyme, basil, parsley, cilantro, Brussels sprouts and citrus fruits like lime, oranges, pineapple along with strawberries and kiwis are best sources of Vitamin C.
2. Topical Remedies:
There are various topical remedies that can help naturally reduce the appearance of scars, lighten dark spots, smooth out the texture of the skin, improve complexion and make it look healthy. Some remedies might work for you while some would not. It will take you a while to try and test these home remedies for acne scars and see what works best for you. Regular and consistent use of these natural remedies can show desired results. Patience is the key.
1. Lemon Juice:
You can use lemon juice for acne scars. Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent and astringent. It is rich in Vitamin C and helps in regenerating the collagen in your skin that can improve the overall elasticity of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. It can also fade dark spots.
How to Do:
- Extract the juice out of a fresh lemon. Apply the juice directly to your scars with the help of a cotton ball. Due to the astringent effect you may feel a tingling sensation, which will subside after a few minutes. Lemon makes a good skin cleanser. You can use it 3-4 times a week for good results.
- If your skin is sensitive, you can mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice with some cucumber juice and apply it on your scars. While lemon juice heals, the cucumber juice will soothe your wounds.
- Another good way to use lemon juice is to mix 1 tsp of lemon juice with 2 tsp of Vitamin E oil for your scars. You can take a couple of Vitamin E capsules, cut them open and extract the oil. Vitamin E is full of anti-oxidants and it is also a good emollient, which helps moisturize and improve the overall texture of your skin.
- You can also make a lemon mask by mixing 1 tsp each of lemon juice, honey and almond oil with 2 tsp of milk and applying it on your skin.
- Combining lemon juice with glycerin can also make it a good face cleanser for daily use. Glycerin will dilute the acidity of lemons and prevent it from drying out your skin.
2. Egg Whites:
Eggs are a great source of protein. Since collagen is also a protein, egg whites help rebuilding the collagen and accelerate the healing of your acne scars.
How to Do:
- Separate egg whites from yolks and whisk the egg whites. Apply them to your acne scars and leave it overnight to heal your skin. Wash it off the next morning. In case you don’t want to keep it overnight, you can wash it off after 30 minutes.
- Whisk the whites of one egg until fluffy and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Mix well and apply it to your skin. This proves to be an excellent remedy in keeping acne at bay in the future too.
Honey is one of the best remedies and most effective one in treating acne scars. It reduces inflammation and redness of your pimples. It is a natural antibiotic and it can heal bacterial infection of your pimples. It also helps to fades away dark spots.
How to Do:
- Apply the honey on your scars and leave to heal to skin overnight. Wash it off the next morning.
- Mix 1 tbsp of honey with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Apply this mixture on the pimple affected area and leave for an hour to heal your pimple scars gently but deeply. Wash it off with cool water.
- Another tried and tested remedy for acne scars is aspirin tablets and honey. Powder an aspirin tablet and mix it with 1 tbsp of honey. The salicylic acid in aspirin helps heal your acne scars deeply. The gritty texture of the aspirin powder can also help in exfoliating the dead skin cells.
- Take 2 tbsp of honey, add half a tsp of turmeric, 2 tbsp of milk, and few drops of rose water and mix well. Keep it on for 15 minutes and rinse it off with cool water.
- Making a face pack with fresh mint leaves paste mixed with honey can also heal your scars deeply and soothe the acne inflammation.
[Also Read:Honey For Acne]
Tomato is a rich source of Vitamin A and can help the quick healing of acne scars.
How to Do
- Make a pulp of one tomato and apply it to your face. Leave it to work for 20 minutes and wash it with warm water.
- You can also blend a tomato and some slices of cucumber in a food processor and apply this paste to your face. Leave it on for half an hour before washing it away. Repeat at least twice a week to get rid of back acne scars as well.
5. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera gel is an effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal remedy to heal acne. The nutrients and polysaccharides in the gel help heal the skin deeply and reduce inflammation caused by acne.Aloe vera help to get rid of acne and acne scars as well
How to Do:
- Take an aloe vera leaf, de thorn it and scrape out the fresh aloe vera gel out of the leaf to apply directly on your acne scars. Repeat the process daily for best results.
- Mix 1 tsp of aloe vera gel with a pinch of organic turmeric powder and apply it to your acne scars. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash thoroughly.
- Aloe vera gel when combined with green tea extracts, can make a great facial cleanser for daily use.
Yogurt is rich in lactic acid and natural AHA (alpha hydroxyl acids) that rejuvenates the skin and heals the acne scars.
How to Do:
- Apply the yogurt to your skin daily and keep it on for 10 minutes before washing it off.
- You can mix yogurt with some cucumber juice and apply it on your acne scars. Wash it after 15 minutes.
- You can mix 1 tbsp of curd with strawberry (2 to 3) paste and apply it to your acne scars and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with water. Strawberry is a rich and natural source of salicylic acid that helps clear the skin deeply and lightens the scars.
- Take 1 tbsp of yogurt, add to it 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of tomato juice. Mix well and apply it to your skin. Leave it on for 30 minutes until dry and wash it off thoroughly with cool water. This pack works wonders in treating your dark spots and skin pigmentation.
6. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is a tried and tested remedy for acne scars. It has anti-bacterial properties and helps prevent the spread of acne bacteria. When used regularly, it helps remove acne scars too. Make sure you buy undiluted tea tree oil for your acne and acne scars. Also remember, do not use tea tree oil without diluting. It is too strong and may have adverse effects if used undiluted directly.
How to Do:
- Mix 2 drops of undiluted tea tree oil in one tsp of aloe vera gel and apply it to your acne and acne scars. Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it with cool water.
- You can also add 2 drops of undiluted tea tree oil to 1 tsp of raw organic honey. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse it with cool water.
- Add 3-4 drops of undiluted tea tree oil to 2 tbsp of plain yogurt. Mix well and apply as a mask all over your skin. Rinse with warm water after 20 minutes.
7. Cocoa Butter:
The regular use of cocoa butter also aid in the removal of acne scars.
How to Do:
- Buy a bottle of good-quality cocoa butter.
- Cleanse your face with a mild face wash. Pat dry your face with a towel.
- Now apply the cocoa butter on the scars and spots. Keep it overnight.
- Follow this process regularly to get best results.
Now, you have a good knowledge of home remedies as well as diets that can help you to get rid of acne scars. So, try these home remedies and share your experiences with us.