Amanda, 34, is more prone to cold and flu than anyone around her and when it is not cold and flu, it’s something in the air that irritates her respiratory tract and blocks her nose.
Once she told to her friend that “I sometimes think my respiratory system is very sensitive to a lot of things in the air. I often have a nasal congestion, but I dread using a xylometazoline nasal decongestant because it irritates my throat and results in a dry cough and makes matters worse. I need some effective nasal congestion home remedies that relieve nasal congestion and not irritate my throat.
Well, that is Amanda’s story. Like Amanda, do you often fall prey to cold and flu? Does it leave you with a blocked nose? Do you want to know how to get rid of nasal congestion? Do you want to know about the home remedies for nasal congestion?
There are various simple and easy ways that can relieve nasal congestion as well as the throat infection. Let’s read on to know more about it.
What Causes Nasal Congestion?
Nasal congestion is simply a stuffy or blocked nose we commonly experience when there is a mucus buildup in our nasal passages, making breathing difficult. Most people suffer from nasal congestion due to sinus infections resulting out of cold and flu.
The other common causes of nasal congestion are:
- Environmental irritants
- Chemical exposures
- Hay fever
- Chronic sinusitis
- Nasal polyps
- Deviated septum
- Hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy resulting in inflamed nasal membranes
Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion
There are many home remedies for nasal congestion that you can use to treat it effectively. Let’s read on to know more about nasal congestion home remedies.
1. Steam Treatment
Steam treatment is a simple, yet very effective home remedy for nasal congestion. It clears your nasal passage with the help of steam vapors.
- Water- 2-3 cups
- Peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil- 6-8 drops
- Towel- 1
- Take 2-3 cups of water in a saucepan and bring it to boil. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat off and transfer the water into a big bowl.
- Pour in 6-8 drops of peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil. If you do not have any of these, take a quarter teaspoon of any mentholated salve or a vapor rub and mix it in the warm water.
- Take a towel over your head, bend down close to the bowl and pull the towel over so that the steam does not escape. Try to inhale the steam.
Note: If your nose is blocked and you cannot inhale, try to take in the steam from your mouth. You will soon feel the mucus loosening and you will be able to breathe.
2. Take a Hot Bath/Shower
Taking a warm shower can also help relieve nasal congestion. The steam from the hot shower can loosen the mucus.
- Warm water- 1 bathtub full
- Lavender oil- 5-6 drops
- Fill in your bathtub with warm water.
- Add 5-6 drops of essential oils like lavender or peppermint or eucalyptus to your bath water.
- Soak your body in that warm water. Ensure that your chest and your face are in the warm water for a while.
- The steam will help clear your nasal passages while the warm water will also help loosen the mucus buildup.
Saline is a quick and effective decongestant. It clears the nasal passage and provides instant relief from nasal congestion.
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Table salt- 1 tsp
- Dropper- 1
- Take 1 cup of warm water and add to it 1 tsp of table salt.
- Mix well and with the help of a dropper pour in a few drops of this saline solution in each nostril.
- Lay and allow the salt solution to work on your congestion.
- Repeat as required to get rid of nasal congestion.
Ginger is said to be an effective nasal decongestant. Its spicy taste can loosen the thick mucus buildup in your nasal passage. You can chew on some raw ginger root or have some ginger tea.
The best ginger tea recipe would be as given below-
- Ginger- ½ inch piece
- Water- 2 cups
- Green tea/black tea- ½ tsp
- Lemon- 1 slice
- Honey- a dash
- Boil half an inch ginger piece in 2 cups of water until the water gains a faint yellow color.
- Add a ¼ tsp of black tea/green tea leaves
- Turn off the heat and let the tea brew for a while.
- Strain the liquid into a cup and add a slice of lemon and a dash of honey into it.
- Enjoy the tasty tea as it works on your nasal congestion.
5. Warm Compress
A warm compress can also help clear your nasal passage and get rid of nasal congestion.
- Towel- 1
- Water- 1 cup
- Take a small sized towel, soak it in some water
- Squeeze out the extra water and heat this towel in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Keep this towel on your face for a while.
- It will help to relieve nasal congestion.
The antiviral and antifungal properties in garlic help to fight with respiratory infections that cause congestion.
- Garlic cloves – 3 or 4
- Water – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Take a cup of water and add 3 or 4 garlic cloves to it.
- Boil them for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now add ½ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Mix the ingredients well and drink it.
- Drink this solution twice a day to clear the nasal congestion.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider helps to maintain strong immunity as it consists of nutrients which support the body to fight the infection. Thus, intake of this apple cider vinegar drink will cure the nasal congestion instantly.
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Take a glass of warm water and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Now, add 1 tbsp of honey to it.
- Stir it well and drink the solution.
- Follow this remedy 3 times a day till you get rid of a nasal congestion.
8. Black Pepper
Black pepper helps to relieve nasal congestion as it sneezing to remove the mucus. It is a remedy which clears the mucus in no time.
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Sesame oil – 2 to 3 drops
- Take ¼ tsp of black pepper into your palm.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of sesame oil to it.
- Now, mix them well and apply it under your nose.
- Take breathe in the strong aroma. This will definitely make you sneeze.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times in a day to clear nasal congestion.
9. Spicy Tomato Tea
This spicy tomato tea is one of the best home remedies for nasal congestion. It has the ability to improve the flow of mucus through the nasal passages.
- Tomatoes – 3
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Hot sauce – 2 tbsp
- Celtic sea salt – a pinch
- Bowl – 1
- Take 3 tomatoes and extract the juice by crushing them in a bowl.
- Now, add 1 tbsp each of chopped garlic and lemon juice to it.
- Boil the mixture well and then add 2 tbsp of hot sauce and a pinch of salt to it.
- Stir it properly and drink this tea slowly when it is warm.
- Use this process twice a day till you get rid of a nasal congestion.
Fenugreek has anti-inflammatory properties which make it one of the best nasal congestion home remedies. The heat and moisture in fenugreek tea will help you to thin mucus.
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 or 2 tsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Take 1 or 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds and crush them.
- Add them to a glass of water.
- Boil the mixture for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Strain the solution and drink it when it is warm.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times in a day to relieve nasal congestion.
Lemon is a rich source of nutrients and vitamin C. It also has antibacterial properties which treat the nasal congestion quickly. Here along with lemon, the black pepper will make the treatment more effective and provides instant relief from nasal congestion.
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Take ¼ tsp of black pepper powder.
- Add 2 tbsp of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to it.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture under your nose.
- Leave it overnight to clear the nasal congestion.
- Repeat this process daily to get rid of nasal congestion
We all know that the intake of honey provides many health benefits. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties reduce nasal congestion and clears the nasal passage.
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Lukewarm water – 1 glass
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and add 1 tbsp of honey to it.
- Stir well and drink it.
- Repeat the process once in a day to reduce nasal congestion.
13. Carom Seeds
Carom seeds are well known as ajwain. It acts as a remedy for many respiratory and digestive diseases such as upset stomach, chest congestion, nasal congestion and more.
See how you can use carom seeds to get rid of nasal congestion.
- Carom seeds – 2 tbsp
- Take 2 tbsp of carom seeds and crush them.
- Place them in a cloth.
- Hold this near to your nose and then inhale.
- Repeat this process 3 times in a day to get rid of nasal congestion.
Horseradish is one of the most effective home remedies for nasal congestion. It clears sinuses and helps to thin the mucus.
- Horseradish (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Small bowl – 1
- Take 1 tbsp of chopped horseradish in a small bowl.
- Now, add 1 tsp each of olive oil and lemon juice to it.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Spread it under your nose.
- Repeat the process daily for 2-3 times to reduce nasal congestion.
15. Antiseptic Herbs Steam
This antiseptic herbs steam helps to get rid of nasal congestion soon. This is an old home remedy. Try it and get relief from stuffy nose.
- Dried Thyme – 3 tsp
- Dried Peppermint – 3 tsp
- Water – 8 to 10 glasses
- Take 8 to 10 glasses of water in a boiling pot.
- Now, add 3 tsp each of dried thyme and dried peppermint to it.
- Boil the mixture for 5- 10 minutes on low flame.
- Now, turn off the flame and keep your face 5 to 6 inches above the water. Cover your head with a thick blanket.
- Inhale for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this twice or thrice in a day till you clear the nasal congestion.
Quick Remedies to Get Rid of Nasal Congestion
Consumption of some food and drinks is also helpful to reduce nasal congestion. Here are some quick remedies which anybody can use. The remedies are very effective to treat nasal congestion at home.
In the case of chronic sinusitis or sinus infection, there is a thick mucus buildup around the nose. Massage a few drops of essential oils like peppermint, lavender, oregano or eucalyptus on your temples, forehead, nose, cheeks, and throat, and behind the ears gently.
The massage will help loosen the thick mucus build up. If you do not have any essential oil, you can make use of olive oil. You can also use menthol or camphor. If you do not have any of these then you can use a mentholated salve to clear nasal congestion.
2. Eucalyptus Oil:
Pour 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil on a tissue and inhale its fragrance as long as you can. It helps relieve nasal congestion.
3. Herbal Tea:
Herbal teas like chamomile tea, peppermint, thyme, rosemary or blackberry can work wonderfully in treating nasal congestion. You can either take a tea bag or brew a teaspoon of dried tea leaves in a kettle and enjoy the warm drink.
4. Hot and Spicy Food:
Remember the last time you had something hot and spicy you ended up having a runny nose and a sweaty forehead.
Spicy food is the best way to deal with nasal congestion because it facilitates the flow of mucus from nasal passages. So have some hot chili sauce, some black pepper, jalapenos or chili peppers to get rid of nasal congestion.
5. Hot Drinks:
Hot drinks like teas, soups or even some hot chocolate can stimulate the flow of saliva and mucus relieving nasal congestion instantly. You can simply add a teaspoon of honey to warm water and sip it for instant relief.
A lot of alternative remedies swear by having a hot cup of milk with a pinch of turmeric powder and black pepper powder for instant relief for congestion, cold and flu.
6. Chicken Soup:
Chicken soup is a tried and tested magic remedy for nasty colds and stubborn nasal congestion. Add in an extra bit of freshly ground pepper and a little bit of garlic to make it nice and hot for instant relief for nasal congestion.
7. Neti Pot:
Neti pot is a small kettle/pot which has a spout that can help administer saline or salt water into your nostrils. They are quite useful for people with chronic nasal congestion. In alternative medicine too, they are used to administer medicines through the nose.
A humidifier adds extra moisture to the air that helps loosen the thick mucus. It also hydrates your dry nasal membranes.
Tips to Clear Nasal Congestion
Here is the collection of simple tips for you to prevent the nasal congestion as well as to treat the nasal congestion issue as quickly as possible.
- Drink a lot of water to drain your stuffy nose.
- Avoid wheat, whole grains, milk, and other dairy products as it can lead to nasal congestion.
- Consume the foods that are rich in vitamin C and zinc to strengthen your immune system.
- Add ginger, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, garlic, onions, and other spices to your diet in order to clear nasal congestion.
- Avoid candies, chocolates, cakes, cookies and doughnuts to prevent nasal congestion.
- Avoid cool drinks as they will increase your problem.
- Chew 3 to 4 basil leaves before having breakfast and before going to bed at night.
- Take a mint or real mint chewing gum as it helps prevent the nasal congestion.
- Don’t blow your nose repeatedly when you have a stuffy nose as it causes inflammation inside nostrils.
- Get comfortable sleep by elevating your head. Just put a soft additional pillow while sleeping.
- Don’t swim in a chlorinated pool as it irritates the mucous membranes in the nasal passages.
- Keep your nasal passages moist using saline drops.
- Wash your bed linens regularly to avoid the spread of infection.
- Use the disinfectant spray to keep dust mites and germs as they can cause nasal congestion.
These are some of the home remedies that you can use to clear mild nasal congestion, but if you are suffering from chronic nasal congestion, then go and consult a doctor for further medication.
Have you tried any of the above-mentioned home remedies for nasal congestion? Which home remedy worked best for you? If yes, then write to us how it worked for you.