If you sneeze, cough, or have itchy or runny eyes or nose, you may be a victim of allergies.
Mold, pollen and grass are the most common allergy triggers. These common symptoms are normally not dangerous, but for the individuals suffering from allergic asthma or an allergy to bee stings, the attacks can be very dangerous.
For many allergy sufferers, the treatment is just a drugstore counter away, with a wide range of medicines available to help. However, for an increasing number of sufferers the road to relief is hidden in nature, which has an abundance of natural remedies for allergies.
A wide number of home remedies for allergies have been clinically proved to be effective. Before venturing into the home remedies for allergies, let us first try to understand the causes and symptoms of allergies in detail.
What Causes of Allergies
Let’s have a look at the causes of allergies that are mentioned below.
Pollen: In majority of cases, allergies are caused due to pollen from various seasonal plants or in many cases the spores from the molds travel through the air and enter the human body through the nose, eyes, or throat, resulting in an allergic reaction.
Weak Immune System: In normal cases, the immune system does a great job of preventing these reactions; however, for individuals with a weak immune system, or in infants, the immune system thinks of these allergens as an infectious agent and prepares itself for an attack.
Once the immune system detects these invaders, it launches an attack in the form of discharging a powerful blend of chemicals like histamine and many other compounds that result in localized inflammation, which further leads to discomfort, irritation, and various other allergic symptoms.
Heredity: Like many other problems that result due to heredity, allergies too, tend to run in families. As per the studies, more than half of the patients suffering from hay fever throughout the world have a close relative with a history of allergies.
Types of Allergy Triggers
Some of the most common types of allergy triggers are:
- Burning bush
- Lamb’s quarters
- Russian thistle
Apart from these, there is also a separate group of allergy triggers that can result in allergies and they are
- Insect bites and stings
- Ingredients of a candy
- Other food allergies, like peanut, milk, wheat, fish, egg, soy, etc.
- Pet allergies
- Pine trees
- Chlorine in swimming pools
Symptoms of Allergies
When you are suffering from an allergic reaction, there can be a combination of the following symptoms. These symptoms can be observed within 5-10 minutes after the allergen is introduced into the body. The symptoms might subside within an hour, to return back within 2-4 hours.
- Nasal congestion
- Fever with allergies
- Itchy, runny eyes and nose
- Itchy throat
- Itchy skin
- Stomach aches
How to Know About the Type of Allergies that Has Attacked You
With so many different types of allergies and their triggers, how can you know about the type of allergens affecting you?
The easiest way to know about your allergy is by visiting a doctor. The most common method that the doctors use to identify allergies is a skin test. Giving an injection or simply scratching on it can help doctors to check for your body’s reaction to a variety of allergens.
Even though the skin test cannot classify all the different types of allergies, it does cover most of them, including food, insect stings, and seasonal.
If parents suffer from allergies, there is a possibility that their children’s will also suffer from the same kind of allergies. Thus, doctors often try to understand more about a patient’s allergies based on family records.
After the skin test, the patient is generally asked about the recent activities they involved themselves in, or something different that they did apart from their normal routine in the past few days.
These questions help the doctor to narrow down to the exact type of allergy you are suffering from.
15 Ancient Remedies for Allergies
Now that you know about the causes, symptoms, and the type of allergy you suffer from, it’s time to learn more about the various home remedies that can help you tackle the condition.
These home remedies for allergies are not known to cause any severe side-effects. However, if you start experiencing something unusual, it’s best to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
1. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
Apple cider vinegar is well-known for its wide range of health benefits on the human body. It is clinically proven to reduce the mucus production. It also cleanses the lymphatic system, making it highly useful for patients suffering from allergies.
A rich source of acetic and malic acid, Vitamin A, B6, and C, apple cider vinegar balances the pH level of the body, which in turn makes it effective to treat allergies. On the other hand, its use also enhances the immunity power of the body.
- Organic apple cider vinegar- 1tsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Add 1tsp of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink this mixture at least 3 times a day.
- Continue taking this mixture to stop allergies attacking you again.
2. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Neti Pot and Saline Rinse
Rinsing your nasal cavity with saline water flushes out the allergens like pollen and loosens the stuffed-up mucus. This remedy is also very beneficial for individuals suffering from sinuses or nasal allergies.
- Neti pot
- Normal salt- 1tsp
- Warm water- 100ml
- Mix 1tbsp of salt in 100ml warm water.
- Add this solution to the neti pot.
- Tilt your head to one side and pour the solution into one nostril until it starts coming out of the other nostril.
- Repeat the process on the other nostril.
- Follow this process until you completely get rid of allergy symptoms.
Note: Please use boiled or distilled water for this remedy as normal tap water can introduce dangerous organisms into your system
3. How to Treat Allergies with Natural Raw Honey and Milk
Honey bees transfer pollen from the flower blossoms to honey. Consuming honey on a daily basis will gradually make you immune to the irritating effects of the pollen.
A study conducted in Finland in the year 2011 compared the effects of normal honey and pollen-laced honey. The study confirmed that pollen-laced honey is useful in reducing the symptoms of allergies.
- Natural raw honey- 1tbsp
- Warm milk- 1 glass
- Add 1tbsp of honey to a glass of warm milk.
- Mix well and drink it warm before going to bed.
- Use this remedy daily until the allergy symptoms are reduced considerably.
4. How to Treat Allergies with Red Onion Water
Onion and garlic are rich sources of quercetin, an antioxidant, which prevents the white blood cells from releasing histamine for attacking the allergens. When histamine is not released, the symptoms of allergies will automatically reduce within a few days.
Quercetin also helps in inhibiting inflammation as well as works as a bronchodilator, which helps in opening up the airways and help you breathe easily.
- Red onion- 1
- Water- 4 cups
- Honey – 1tsp
- Thinly slice the red onion and take the slices in a bowl.
- Add 4 cups of water to it.
- Allow the onion slices to get infused in the water for about 8-12 hours.
- Strain it and drink the infused water 1-2 times daily.
- You can keep this mixture in the refrigerator for as many as four days.
- You can also add a teaspoon of honey to individual glasses while drinking if you don’t like the taste of red onion and water.
- Using this remedy regularly will help you to stop allergies attacking you again.
5. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Green Tea
Researchers from the Kyushu University in Japan have found that green tea contains a compound called as EGCG, which has the ability to prevent the cells from producing and releasing histamine and IgE.
When the histamine is not released, the symptoms of allergies will start reducing and will completely vanish within a week.
- Green tea bags- 1 to 2
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Steep 1-2 green tea bags in a cup of warm water.
- Remove the tea bags and drink this tea warm.
- Sip this tea 3-4 times a day to reduce the symptoms of any kind of allergy.
6. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Nettle and Peppermint Tea
Peppermint and nettle contain a type of flavonoid called as luteolin-7-O-rutinoside, which is clinically proven to inhibit the activity and secretion of anti-inflammatory enzymes, like histamines. It also reduces the other discomforts associated with allergies.
- Dried peppermint leaves – 1tsp
- Dried nettle leaves – 1tsp
- Honey – 1tbsp
- Or lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Place 1tsp of dried nettle and peppermint leaves in a bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water on the leaves and put a lid on the bowl.
- Let the ingredients steep in the water for 10-20 minutes.
- Strain and add 1 tbsp of honey or lemon juice for taste.
- Mix all the ingredients well and drink it hot.
- Take this tea 2 times daily to get relief from the symptoms of allergy.
7. How to Treat Allergies with Citrus Fruits and Honey
The citrus fruits are enriched with Vitamin C, which is known to provide great relief from allergies, especially seasonal allergies as it has an enhancing effect on the immune system.
As the immune system is worst hit while suffering from allergies, the benefits of this mixed juice are very obvious and quick
- Oranges- 2
- Lemon- ½
- Local, raw, organic honey- 1tbsp
- Squeeze the juice from 2 oranges and half a lemon in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey to it and stir well.
- Drink this fresh or can chill it for a couple of hours before drinking.
- Drink this juice at least 2 times a day to reduce allergy symptoms.
8. How to Treat Allergies with Apple and Walnut Mixture
Walnuts are a rich source of magnesium, which helps in reducing allergic symptoms like coughing, sneezing, itching and wheezing. The Vitamin E in walnuts boosts your immunity power and also prevents the body from reacting to the allergens.
Apples, like onions, contain quercetin and helps in reducing the production and release of histamine, making it one of the best home remedies for allergies.
- Walnuts- ½ cups
- Apple- 1
- Cut the apple and chop the walnuts into small-medium sized chunks.
- Place them in a bag or bowl and toss them until thoroughly mixed.
- Eat them 1-2 times a day to treat allergies.
9. How to Treat Allergies with Hot Water Steam
Breathing hot water steam refreshes and soothes the irritated sinuses and also helps in opening the nasal passage by eliminating the accumulated mucus. While this remedy may take some time, it is sure to make you feel wonderful.
- Water- 3 to 4 cups
- Large bowl
- Boil 3-4 cups of water in a saucepan for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once done, place the bowl on a solid surface.
- Drape a towel over your head and lean carefully over the bowl.
- Breathe the steam in for 5-10 minutes
- When you are done steaming, let the water become warm.
- Saturate a washcloth in it and hold the cloth on your sinuses.
10. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Eucalyptus Oil Bath
The aroma of eucalyptus helps in opening up your sinuses and nasal passages if suffering from nasal allergies. Clinical studies also suggest that eucalyptus oil also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the symptoms.
- Eucalyptus oil- 6 to8 drops
- Water – a bathtub
- Simply put 6-8 drops of eucalyptus oil to the water in the bathtub.
- Soak yourself in the water for 20 minutes.
- Do this for at least 2 times a day to get instant relief from the symptoms of allergy.
Note: Please do not swallow or apply eucalyptus oil directly to your skin. It is highly toxic in concentrated amounts.
11. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Flax Seeds
Flax seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are clinically proven to fight allergies. The Technical University of Munich, Germany, found that omega-3 consumption is directly linked to the reduction in the symptoms of allergic rhinitis and fever with allergies.
- Flax seeds- 2 to3 tsp
- Add 2-3 tsp of flax seed to the food you eat.
- You can also add flax seed to the salads and consume it on a daily basis to treat allergies.
12. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Butterbur Tea
Butterbur is known to block the release of histamine and reduce inflammation. Many studies have confirmed the efficacy of butterbur in reducing the most common allergy symptoms, like itchy eyes, sinus congestion, headaches, and fever, etc.
In one of the British study, it was also found that butterbur is as effective as Zyrtec in relieving the symptoms of allergies that too without any side effects.
- Dry butterbur roots- 1tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Sugar or honey – 1 tsp
- Wash the butterbur roots under cold running water to remove all the dirt and impurities.
- Soak the butterbur roots in a cup of cold water for about 12 hours.
- After soaking, boil it in a pot and simmer it for 3-5 minutes.
- Use a wire mesh strainer to strain the tea into a cup.
- Add the sugar or honey for taste.
- Drink this tea up to three times a day to get rid of allergies.
Note: Do not continue drinking butterbur tea for a longer period of time as it can result in a variety of contradictions. A period of two to four weeks should be more than enough to reduce the allergies.
13. How to Treat Allergies with Goldenseal Tea
The active ingredients in goldenseal have very effective antibacterial and immune boosting properties, which are considered beneficial for treating allergies.
Apart from this, goldenseal is also useful in treating respiratory disorders, urinary tract infections, liver problems, and purification of blood.
- Dry goldenseal roots- 20 to 50gms
- Water- 1 cup
- Sugar or honey – 1tsp
- Add 20-50gms of dry goldenseal roots to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5-10 minutes.
- Strain it and add sugar or honey for taste.
- Drink this tea hot.
- Use this remedy at least once in a day to get rid of allergies.
14. How to Treat Allergies with Oatmeal for Hives
If you suffer from hives due to allergies, the oatmeal paste is sure to relieve the condition. It has soothing properties that help in reducing the itchiness associated with hives.
It may not be able to reduce the underlying cause of hives but can reduce the hives itself.
- Oatmeal- 1tbsp
- Boiling water- 1 cup
- Cotton balls – 3 to 4
- Mixer grinder
- Add a cup of boiling water to 1tbsp of oatmeal.
- Allow it to sit for about 20-30 minutes.
- Grind it to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas with the help of cotton balls.
- You can also refrigerate the paste to use it more than once.
- You can also add this paste to your bath water for full body relief.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Seasonal Allergies]
15. How to Get Rid of Allergies with Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a natural decongestant and sinus cleaner. It contains capsaicin, which is very effective in reducing the nasal congestion, sinuses, and stuffiness. It also helps in boosting the immune system. Its consumption makes your heart healthy.
Note: Remember that cayenne pepper is very hot. If you are not used to eating it on a regular basis, it is better to start off with small amounts and then work your way to larger quantities.
- Cayenne pepper powder
- Add cayenne pepper powder to the food you eat to reduce the symptoms of allergy.
Apart from these natural remedies to treat allergies, there are also some additional tips that can accelerate the healing process of all the different types of allergies.
- Make Some Dietary Changes: Try to avoid all the processed and refined foodstuffs for a few days. Foods that contain yeast should also be avoided as it feeds the bad bacteria in your stomach and suppresses the growth of good bacteria.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Drink as much water as you can while suffering from You can also consume an increased amount of fruits and vegetables that are rich in water content. Staying hydrated will enhance the thin secretions, making them easier to eliminate. It’ll also keep your mucous membrane hydrated, and reduce the scratchy and itchy feeling.
- Get Hardwood Floors: You’ll see that many individuals suffering from perennial allergies prefer getting hardwood flooring as compared to carpet flooring. The reason being, carpets are the place where allergens can accumulate and build up. They are released when you walk or lay on it. On the other hand, hardwood floors are much easier to clean and the allergens can be easily eliminated from it.
- Regular Exercise: This is one of the best tips to reduce the chances of getting Research has shown that exercising alleviates allergies, especially hay fever.
- Reduce Stress: Studies show that, when we are stressed, we are more likely to have when our cortisol levels are imbalanced, it has a negative impact on the immune system. Thus, the more you work on reducing your stress, the lesser are the chances of having an allergic reaction. Getting enough sleep, meditation, yoga and exercising are some of the things you can do to reduce stress.
- Keep the Pollen Out of Your Home– Limiting the exposure to allergens is a great idea of alleviating the allergy symptoms. You can do the following to prevent allergies:
- Have a good shower after returning from outside. Wash your hair and skin thoroughly to remove the pollen. Rinse your eyes with cool water.
- Portable air cleaners are very effective in eliminating allergens from your home. However, do remember to change the filters regularly.
- Cleaning your pets is another great idea to reduce the symptoms. Pollen and other allergens can get caught in their fur and then transferred to you when you touch them.
- Line drying your clothes can immensely contribute to the allergies as all the pollen sailing in the air gets stuck to it and later to you when you use the clothes. You can use dryers to dry your clothes.
- If you need to open the windows of your home, don’t simply fling it all the way. Allergens will fly into the house and will settle on everything.
- Avoid Smoking: If you are suffering from an allergy, try to avoid smoking and smokers. Studies show that cigarette smoke can aggravate the allergy symptoms.
We do believe that now you have a better idea about allergies and the multiple ways to eradicate them effectively without getting into any kind of side effects.
Needless to say, you need to put all this information into action to ensure that it actually works, and we are pretty confident that you will.
Try and use the home remedies for allergies that are mentioned above for best results. If they do work for you, you can also share the information with others suffering from the same.
Do remember that your gut plays an important role in alleviating and aggravating allergies, making it the key to curing all your allergies for good.
All the best!