Cranberries are termed as one of the most delicious berry fruits. Not many people are well aware of the many health benefits and uses of cranberries. This berry fruit is packed with multiple nutrients and vitamins that are extremely helpful and beneficial in treating many serious health concerns. Before we move ahead with the health benefits of cranberries let us first know about the nutritional value of this fruit.
These ways we can get a better idea of how helpful the fruit is in treating various health issues.
Nutritional Value of Cranberries
For many years, cranberries have been used in desserts and to garnish some rich food items. Another fact associated with this delicious fruit is the medicinal value of cranberries.
Take a look at some of the health beneficial vitamins, nutrients, and minerals that cranberries are packed with:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Pantothenic Acid
Now that we have gained some basic knowledge about the high nutritional value of cranberries let us now move on to the many health benefits and uses of cranberries.
Health Benefits and Uses of Cranberries
Cranberries in many corners of the globe have been used in medicines to treat various health issues. According to several health researchers, the presence of phytonutrients in Cranberries is helpful in treating several health concerns.
Mentioned below are the various health benefits of cranberries and how to make the best of this miracle fruit to treat various diseases.
1. Cranberries for Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infection or UTI’s is basically the presence of microorganisms in the urine that is beyond the normal levels. This can lead to a serious infection in the bladder and can result in cysts formation.
So how does cranberry help this condition?
Cranberries contain proanthocyanidins that are packed with anti clinging properties. The anti clinging properties in cranberries help in preventing the organisms from growing on the walls of the bladder.
This way the bacteria easily gets flushed out of the system and results in prevention of the Urinary Tract Infection or the UTI.
According to several medical studies conducted the doctors highly suggest the intake of cranberries juice for patients with UTI’s as it helps in treating the infection as well as guards against it.
2. Fresh Cranberry & Raw Kefir Juice
Things we need
- Fresh Cranberry Juice – ½ Cup
- Fresh Homemade Kefir – ½ Cup
- Serving Glass
- Take a serving glass and into this add in the fresh cranberry juice and the kefir.
- Stir this well.
- This is a delicious way to treat and prevent UTI’s and this juice can be consumed twice in a day or every day along with the breakfast.
3. Cranberries for Cardiovascular Health Benefits
Cranberries are packed with antioxidants and flavonoids that help in reducing the risk of atherosclerosis.
This condition is where the arteries are narrowed down to a smaller size mainly because of the excessive fat build up surrounding the arteries. This condition results in obstruction of lesser blood flow to the various parts of our body and mainly our heart.
Lesser and inadequate amount of blood flow to the heart or any other part of our body can lead to stroke or in a worse case a heart attack.
The rich antioxidant compounds present in cranberries aid in stimulating the blood flow across the body and also reduces the risk of various cardiovascular health concerns.
4. Cranberries for Cancer Prevention
According to several medical studies conducted to get the right medical solution for reducing the risk of cancer it has been proven that foods rich in flavonoids tend to reduce the risk of cancer.
Cranberries are a rich natural source of flavonoids, anticarcinogenic components, and proanthocyanidins.
Proanthocyanidins play a crucial role in inhibiting the growth of cancer cells and thus aids in cancer prevention. They can also aid in stopping the growth of tumor cells.
Regular consumption of cranberries on an everyday basis has been proven to be the best natural help for cancer prevention.
5. Cranberries for the Prevention & Cure of Lung Inflammation
Cranberries are loaded with anti-inflammatory properties and this makes it one of the best fruits to treat any kind of inflammation.
Lung inflammation is mainly caused by the influenza virus and a regular intake of cranberries aids in healing this inflammation as well as reduces the risk of being affected again.
According to the medical researchers conducted on cranberries, it has been found that the fruit contains a substance called nondialyzable or NDM in medical terms that help in preventing the virus from sticking to the lungs.
As a result including cranberries in your daily diet is the best way to prevent and cure lung inflammation.
6. Cranberries for the Prevention of Tooth Decay
The proanthocyanidin compound in cranberries inhibits the tooth decay-causing bacteria from sticking to the teeth. This compound is even known to inhibit the acid production in the mouth further preventing the teeth from periodontal concerns.
A regular consumption of cranberries can further help in preventing from tooth cavities.
How to Use Cranberries for the Prevention of Tooth Decay
- Apart from maintaining good oral hygiene, the consumption of a glass of cranberry juice can be of best natural help for the prevention of tooth decay and to keep the periodontal diseases at bay.
7. Cranberries for the Prevention & Treatment of Scurvy
Scurvy is a kind of tooth disease that is mainly caused due to the deficiency of vitamin C. In this the gums are swollen and highly inflamed.
There are many health benefits and uses of cranberries and this one definitely serves as the most helpful one.
Cranberries contain a high amount of vitamin C and this makes it the best natural ingredient to treat and prevent from Scurvy.
Regular intake of cranberry juice results in healthier gums.
8. Cranberries for Strengthening the Bones
A glass of cranberry juice is considered as one of the best and the most natural sources of calcium. Daily intake of this natural juice helps in strengthening the bones.
Regular consumption of cranberry juice also aids in the prevention of Osteoporosis.
9. Cranberries for the Prevention & Treatment of Cold & Flu
Cranberries being a rich source of antioxidants and vitamin C help in preventing the body from infections like cold and flu. It also aids in boosting the immune system of the body.
When suffering from flu or cold a regular intake of a glass of cranberry juice is highly suggested by many health specialists all across the globe.
10. Cranberries for Peptic Ulcers
Peptic ulcers are a kind of bacteria that mainly affects the protective layer of the stomach and the duodenum which is the main part of the intestine.
Ulcers lead to inflammation in the inside layer of the stomach and this can be quite difficult to treat.
Although there are many medications available but the quickest and the most natural way to deal with the peptic ulcers is with the consumption of foods that are rich in flavonoids.
Cranberries contain a high amount of flavonoids and proanthocyanidins. Both of these compounds aid in reducing the inflammation caused due to the peptic ulcers as well as prevents from any kind of stomach disorders.
Hence, the first food suggestion that most of the doctors highly recommend when it comes to treating peptic ulcers is a regular intake of fresh cranberry juice on a daily basis.
11. Cranberries for Anti Aging Skin Benefits
With the growing age, there are changes that one tends to experience. Skin is the first and the foremost change that one experiences with age.
There are many cosmetic ways of dealing with the age issues as far as our skin is concerned.
But the best and the most beneficial way of treating the various signs of aging are by indulging in natural ingredients that will reduce the signs of aging from deep within and without any side effects.
Cranberries are a rich natural source of phytonutrients and antioxidants and these play a very important role in reducing and preventing the various effects of aging.
Cranberries also possess skin healing and therapeutic properties that aid in fighting the free radical that are the primary reason for the several signs of aging. The fruit also largely helps in treating the cell damage caused due to the growing age.
According to several medical studies conducted a regular consumption of cranberry juices makes the skin appear younger and naturally healthier.
So instead of trying the cosmetic approach to looking younger try this natural and delicious fruit to reverse the signs of aging.
12. Cranberries for Losing Weight
Cranberries are probably the most delicious and healthiest way of losing weight.
Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and organic acids that have an emulsifying effect on the fat deposits stored in our bodies. This turns out to be extremely beneficial and helpful for people on a weight loss regime as it helps in burning the faster and in a healthier way.
Several nutritionists recommend obese people to consume cranberries either in the dried form or in the form of a juice on an everyday basis to reach their weight loss goals faster.
Although there are several health benefits and uses of cranberries but there are a few pointers that one needs to keep in mind if they are keen to try this miracle berry to treat the multiple health concerns.
Mentioned below are a few important things that one need to keep in mind before the consumption of cranberries:
- Cranberries contain a high amount of salicylic acid and this compound is also available in aspirin. So people who have already been prescribed aspirin must ensure in avoiding the consumption of cranberries.
- People who have kidney stones must ensure in taking the advice of their doctors before switching to the consumption of cranberry juice.
- People who have been prescribed the warfarin drug must always make sure to consult their specialist before the consumption of the cranberry juice.
Different ways of including cranberries in your diet to get rid of the multiple health concerns:
- One can easily substitute the dried cranberries instead of using the raisins or any other berry for the baking recipes.
- Dried or even fresh cranberries are a great and delicious way to garnish your salads and pasta recipes. These ways you will gain the maximum health benefits of cranberries as well as add that extra flavor to your dish.
- Cranberry juice can even use in the mocktails and cocktails or even in lemonade in the summers. This way you can beat the heat as well as enjoy the health beneficial nutrients and vitamins of cranberries.
- Dried cranberries can even be used as a snacking option in the evenings as they contain minimal calories and are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- Dried cranberries can also be used in the cookie and muffin recipes as they add a punch of tanginess to the sweet recipe and taste delicious too.
- Add dried cranberries to your morning bowl of the oatmeal recipe for the breakfast and make it more interesting and delicious as well as packed with health beneficial properties.
- Add a handful of dried cranberries to your protein shake or even in your smoothie and enjoy the many health benefits of it.
- Dried cranberries can also be added in ice creams to make it more rich and delicious.
Now that we are well versed with the several health benefits and uses of cranberries let us now move on to the selection and storage of it.
Selection & Storage of Cranberries
Fresh cranberries are not available in different parts of the globe so they can instead opt for the dried cranberries available in the food stores. As far as the nutrition content of dried cranberries is concerned they are as same as the fresh ones.
Dried cranberries can be stored in airtight bags or containers. They need to be used within a week’s time as they don’t contain any preservatives.
Cranberry juice, on the other hand, has a longer shelf life as it contains a certain and limited amount of preservatives. The nutrition content of cranberries in the juice remains the same. The cranberry juice needs to be refrigerated and stored in glass jars.
So the next time you choose to buy the over the counter or prescribed medications to treat or prevent a certain health concern make sure to try home remedies first.
Home remedies are probably the best, quickest and the affordable way of treating various health concerns.
All of the above-mentioned health benefits and uses of cranberries have been proven to offer the best help in treating multiple health and skin concerns.