Corn is one of the most popular and highly consumed vegetables. Corn originates from Mexico but was transported by the Spanish explorers.The most common varieties available in corn are white, black, yellow, speckled and the most favorite one all across the globe being the American sweet corn.There are numerous ways that one can cook corn with but what not many people are aware of is the several health benefits and uses of corn.
Corn is packed with many health beneficial nutrients, minerals and vitamins. This makes corn one of the best and the most delicious vegetable to treat several major health ailments.
But before we move on to the health benefits and uses of corn let us first gain the basic knowledge about the nutritional value of corn.
Health Benefits and Uses of Corn – Nutritional Value of Regular Corn
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Natural Sugar
Nutritional Value of American Sweet Corn
- Vitamin B6
- Pantothenic Acid
Apart from this corn is also packed with antioxidants and enzymes that help in dealing with many health concerns.
Anti-Oxidants in Corn
- Phytic Acid
- Ferulic Acid
Hence, it has been proved that corn contains a high amount of health beneficial properties that can successfully treat many health ailments.
Health Benefits of Corn
So now that we are well versed with the multiple vitamins, minerals and nutrients present in corn let us now discover some amazing health benefits and uses of corn.
Corn for Obesity
Obesity is now being considered as one of the most common and major health concerns all across the globe. The one serious health concern that obesity can lead to is hypertension.
The primary reason for the increasing rate of obesity in children and adults is the consumption of high calorie foods just because they tend to taste sweeter than the regular foods.
Several food researchers believe that if people consumed foods and vegetables that are packed with healthy and natural sugars like corn the rate of obesity will gradually reduce.
Corn is a plant based food that is packed with antioxidants and enzymes that not only fills up for the sugar content but also aids in treating hypertension.
How to Use Corn for Treating Obesity & Hypertension
Corn & Black Bean Salad
This salad recipe is probably the most delicious way to lose weight. It can be either consumed as a lunch option or even as a late evening snack.
This corn and black bean salad is packed with proteins and fiber and both of these help in making you feel fuller for a longer period of time. This way you don’t really feel the need to binge on any other food.
Things we need
- Corn – 1 Cup
- Boiled/Baked Black Beans – 1 Cup
- Boiled/Baked Kidney Beans – 1 Cup
- Orange Bell Peppers – ½ Cup Diced
- Green Bell Peppers – ½ Cup Diced
- Red Bell Peppers – ½ Cup Diced
- Celery – ½ Cup
- Fresh Cilantro – 1-2 tbsp Chopped
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2/3 Cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – ½ Cup
- Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp
- Stevia – ½ tsp
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Take a large mixing bowl and into this add in the bell peppers red, green and orange, cilantro and the chopped celery.
- Into the same bowl add in the both the beans too.
- Now take another small mixing bowl and into this add in the dressing ingredients and mix this well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Now add this dressing to the salad bowl and toss it well so that all the vegetables and the beans are well covered with the dressing.
- This salad recipe can be consumed everyday as it is loaded with fiber and aids in digestion too.
- Several health studies have proven that enjoyable and delicious foods make weight loss easier and also reduce the risk of hypertension.
Corn for Heart Health
Corn oil is considered as the best cooking oil to improve the heart health. Corn oil is packed with antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids which help in replacing the bad cholesterol in the body with good cholesterol.
Bad cholesterol is one of the primary reasons for many cardiovascular diseases. Corn oil also helps in reducing the risk of clogged arteries that can result in heart attack or a high blood pressure.
Corn for Digestion
Many food research studies have proven the fact that corn is the best natural source of fiber.
Corn fiber especially aids in improving the digestion as it supports the growth of stomach friendly bacteria present in our large intestine. This eventually results in reducing the risk of intestinal health concerns.
Colon cancer is another health concern that is prevented with the help of corn.
How to Use Corn for Digestive Health Benefits
Grilled Corn Confetti Slaw
Corn is highly nutritious and an excellent natural source of folate, fiber and thiamine. These health beneficial properties present in corn help in improving the digestion.
Try this incredibly easy and extremely delicious recipe to obtain maximum digestive benefits!
Things we need
- Corn Cobs – 5-6
- Red Bell Pepper – 1
- Jalapeno Peppers – 2
- Chopped Green Onions – 1 Cup
- Freshly Chopped Thyme – 2 tbsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp
- Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
- Cooking Spray
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Mixing Bowl
- Firstly prepare the grill.
- Now wash and wipe the corn cobs dry with a cloth.
- Wash the red bell peppers as well as the jalapeno peppers and wipe them dry.
- Now coat the corn cobs and the bell peppers and the jalapeno peppers with the cooking spray.
- Place the corn cobs and the bells peppers along with the jalapeno peppers on the grill.
- Leave them on the grill for about 10-15 mins or until they turn light golden brown.
- Later take the veggies off the grill and cut the kernels off the corn cobs.
- Similarly, chop the cooked bell peppers and the jalapeno peppers too.
- Now take a mixing bowl and into this add in the kernels of the corn cobs along with the chopped bell peppers and the jalapeno peppers.
- Into the same bowl add the chopped thyme, lime juice, chopped green onions and olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste and toss it well.
- Let this salad bowl chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so.
- Serve this salad chilled as it tastes better.
- This salad is a great way to improve the digestion as it is packed with fiber and can be consumed as a delicious lunch alternative.
Corn for the Prevention of Anemia
Corn contains a high amount of iron, health beneficial minerals, vitamin B12 and folic acid. Minerals and nutrients like these available in corn helps in the formation of red blood cells in the body.
The lack of sufficient red blood cells in the body results in anemia and a regular consumption of corn on a daily basis escalate the production of red blood cells in the body.
Corn for Lowering the Cholesterol
There are basically two basic types of cholesterol, HDL the good cholesterol and LDL, the bad cholesterol.
Bad cholesterol in the body is a result of consumption of fatty and high sugar foods. A rise in bad cholesterol in the body can lead to several cardiovascular health concerns.
On the other hand, the good cholesterol in the body causes no harm.
Corn, especially the sweet corn is a great natural source of vitamin C, bioflavonoids and carotenoids. The bioflavonoids, carotenoids and the vitamin C help in preventing from cardiovascular diseases as well as promotes better heart health.
Using corn oil for cooking food is probably the best way to improve the heart health as well as reduce the bad cholesterol in the body.
Corn oil is known to have an antiatherogenic effect on the rising bad cholesterol levels in the body by reducing the cholesterol absorption in the body.
How to Use Corn to Lowering the Bad Cholesterol
- Instead of using the regular cooking oil switch to using corn oil as it helps in lowering the cholesterol levels as well as prevents from major cardiovascular health ailments.
Corn for Improving the Vision
The yellow color substance in corn is known as carotenoids. This aids in reducing the risk of impairment of vision as well as improves the vision.
Corn is also a rich natural source of vitamin A which is produced by the presence of the beta-carotene in it. Vitamin A is one of essential vitamins for a clear vision.
Corn for Strengthening the Bones
Corn is a great natural source of minerals like manganese that helps in strengthening the connective tissues around our joints. It also is packed with copper, iron, phosphorous and magnesium. These minerals are extremely essential for strengthening and building bones in our body.
Regular consumption of corn on a daily basis helps in regulating the blood sugar levels and also provides energy.
As a daily recommendation, one needs to consume at least a cup of corn to build and strengthen the bones.
Corn for Pregnant Women
One of the best and the most helpful health benefits and uses of corn is this one.
Corn is packed with a high amount of folic acid which is known to be extremely beneficial especially for the pregnant women.
Lack of folic acid in pregnant women can lead to birth defects in the newborn as well as affects the health of the pregnant woman.
A daily intake of corn in any form can be of the best help for the pregnant women and it also improves the overall health of the expecting mother.
Corn for the Prevention of the Alzheimer’s Disease
Corn contains a good amount of thymine which plays a crucial role in the smooth functioning of the brain cell/cognitive function.
Thymine is one of the most essential minerals for memory and deficiency of it can lead to memory loss or like it commonly known as Alzheimer’s disease in the older age.
So a regular consumption of corn is highly recommended by many neuro specialists for a healthy brain function.
Corn for Diabetes
Regular intake of corn by the diabetics helps them in balancing the insulin levels in the body. According to several medical studies it has also been proven been that consumption of corn on a daily basis by diabetics helps them in reducing the effects of diabetes.
The phytochemicals present in corn aids in regulating the absorption and release of insulin in the body of the diabetic patients and this allows them to lead a normal life by reducing the effects of diabetes to a certain extent.
Besides this, the vitamin B and the pantothenic acid in corn help in reducing stress in the diabetic patients.
Corn for the Prevention of Hair Loss
Apart from the many health benefits of uses of corn, it is also known to be an excellent vegetable packed with beauty benefits.
Corn oil is packed with an amazing combination of vitamin E and fatty acids.
Corn oil aids in hydrating the hair follicles from deep within and prevents from hair loss. It also conditions the hair from deep within leaving it well-nourished.
How to Use Corn to Prevent Hair Loss
- All you need to do is to replace your regular hair oil with corn oil. Apply it 2-3 times in a week to prevent hair loss as well as to promote healthy hair growth.
Corn for Healthy and Shiny Hair
Yes this may sound crazy but corn can actually help you in attaining healthy and shiny hair.
Corn oil is packed with omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E. This helps in preventing the scalp from turning flaky or dry.
Regular usage of corn oil aids in nourishing the hair from the roots to ends adding a natural shine and health to your hair.
How to Use Corn Oil for Shiny & Lustrous Hair
Things we need
- Corn Oil – ½ Cup
- Shower Cap
- For this you need to heat the corn oil over medium heat.
- Later take it off the heat and allow it to warm down a little.
- Now using the tips of your fingers massage this warm corn oil right from the roots to the ends of your hair for at least 5-8 mins.
- Later cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for about 10-15 mins.
- Later wash your hair with regular shampoo and skip the conditioner routine.
- This process for healthy and lustrous hair can be repeated twice in a week.
Corn for Healthy and Damage Free Skin
Corn is packed with loads of skin beneficial properties. It is a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and lycopene.
These vitamins and nutrients are skin-beneficial antioxidants that aid in preventing the skin from any sort of damage.
Corn also helps in increasing the production of collagen which eventually results in a younger and healthier looking skin.
Corn for Naturally Radiant Skin
Corn contains nutrients and minerals that help in improving the overall texture of the skin.
Besides adding corn in your everyday food it can also be used as a beauty treatment to add natural radiance to the skin.
How to Use Corn for Radiant Skin
- Massaging your face with corn oil for 2-3 mins once or twice in a week makes your skin naturally radiant.
All of the above-mentioned remedies and tips have no side effects what so ever as they are completely natural.
There are many over the counter drugs available on the market to treat the various health concerns but it is always wiser to try out some basic home remedies to treat the concerns as they are completely safe and natural.
Now that we are all well versed with the several helpful health benefits and uses of corn let us now gain some knowledge about how to buy and store this miraculous vegetable.
How to Select & Store Corn
- While buying corn always make sure to buy only the fuller corn cobs with a slightly golden colored stick.
- Always make sure to store the corn in the refrigerator without removing the husk as it stays fresher for a longer time with the husk on.
- Always make sure to buy corn that appears bright yellow in color as they are the freshest.
Do let us know about which of the above mentioned health benefits and uses of corn was of best help to you. We would love to hear your feedback to offer you with the best.