We all talk about meeting a friend over coffee or to chill with family and friends in the evening with coffee. But not many of us are aware about the several health benefits and uses of coffee.
To resolve this query we are here to help you!
Coffee apart from being one of the most loved and most consumed beverages is packed with a whole lot of health and beauty benefits. The daily cup of coffee can be surprisingly used to treat several health concerns.
But first, let us know more about the nutritional value that a cup of coffee contains within.
Nutritional Value of Coffee
- Pantothenic Acid
Now that we are well versed with the high nutrient content of coffee let us now explore the several health benefits and uses of coffee to gain maximum health benefits.
Health Benefits and uses of Coffee
Coffee for its Anti-Oxidant Benefits
When it comes to beverages that are rich in antioxidant properties the first name that most often comes to mind is green tea.
But the actual fact is that coffee contains almost twice the number of antioxidant properties when compared to green tea.
Several medical studies have proven the fact that most is one drink that is packed with antioxidant benefits that help in preventing the body from many diseases.
Coffee for Burning Fat
Coffee has a stimulant effect on the central nervous system and this helps in boosting the metabolic rate of the body as well as improves the oxidation process of the fatty acids.
This eventually results in enabling the body to burn fat during each workout session or during any physical activity.
For the same reasons, there are many athletes who prefer coffee just before some athletic performance as it helps them in performing better.
Coffee for Reducing the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a huge problem all across the globe that is affecting many. Diabetes is a serious health condition where the affected individual experiences elevated blood sugar levels or the condition of inability to produce insulin.
In this condition, the consumption of coffee plays a major role in minimizing the effect of diabetes.
The reason for this is the presence of a high amount of antioxidant properties available in coffee. This enables the body to fight the tissue damage.
The presence of magnesium and chromium in coffee helps in managing the insulin production in the body.
So a daily consumption of coffee for about 3-4 times in a day is likely to manage the insulin production in the body as well as reduces the risk of type of diabetes.
Coffee for Liver Health
Several studies have proven that the consumption of coffee helps in reducing the risk of liver cancer. The study also claimed that the consumption of coffee on a daily basis helps in decreasing the risk of cirrhosis.
Coffee intake also aids in lowering the levels of enzymes and this results in improving the liver health.
Coffee for Preventing from Depression
There has been much medical research conducted on the health benefits of coffee and it has been proven that it helps in reducing depression both in men and women.
Well, coffee helps in activating the neurotransmitters that aids in controlling the mood hormones including serotonin and dopamine.
So coffee not only helps in preventing from depression but also acts as a mood enhancer.
Coffee for Preventing from Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s is a very common and the most complicated neurodegenerative health condition. In this condition the person suffers from dementia which is a complete or in some cases partial memory loss.
This disease is a result of the dopamine-generating neurons in the brain dying at a faster rate and causing the memory loss.
However there are many ways to prevent from getting this disease.
According to a recent study conducted coffee drinkers are less likely of getting this disease as the caffeine in the coffee helps in activating the dopamine hormone.
Coffee Reduces the Risk of Parkinson’s
Parkinson’s disease is probably the second most common neurodegenerative disease after Alzheimer’s.
Just like in the case of Alzheimer’s, in Parkinson’s too the death of the dopamine neurons results in this health condition. So far there has been no cure found for both of these health conditions.
According to many medical studies coffee drinkers have minimal chances of getting this disease for the same reason, as the caffeine helps in activating the dopamine neuron.
Coffee for the Prevention from Virus
Worried about catching a virus or flu?
Then switch to drinking coffee to boost your immune system and prevent yourself from getting viruses.
Yes, this has been proved by many immunology experts that coffee can actually prevent you from viruses.
Coffee contains a unique compound called as N-methyl-pyridinium and this compound helps in reducing the viral replication in coffee drinkers.
Apart from this coffee is also known to contain antiviral properties that aid in the prevention from viruses.
Coffee for Fighting Cavities
Yes this may sound completely crazy but drinking coffee can actually help you in fighting the cavities and making your teeth stronger.
Coffee contains natural compounds called polyphenols and these compounds contain anti-adhesive properties.
Drinking coffee helps in reducing the bacteria that causes cavities with the help of the anti-adhesive property present in them.
Coffee for Cancer Prevention
Cancer today is being considered as one of the major causes of death in most of the people.
According to several medical studies conducted on the health benefits and uses of coffee it has been proven that it can actually help in protecting the body against colorectal cancer and liver cancer.
Coffee drinkers are at a lower of getting these two types of cancer.
Coffee for Dietary Purpose
Yes you read that right!
Coffee is packed with nutrients and antioxidant properties which are closely equivalent to any fruit or vegetable that you include in your healthy diet.
In fact the recent studies conducted on the organic coffee beans it has been proven that coffee is the biggest source of antioxidant properties that helps in boosting the immune system of the body.
So the next time you think of buying healthy fruits and vegetables for your diet make sure to include a good brand of coffee too.
Coffee for Improving the Alertness
The primary purpose or function of coffee or caffeine is to block the effects of an inhibitory neurotransmitter called Adenosine in the brain.
The blocking of Adenosine results in activating and releasing the neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine.
This whole process results in making the coffee drinker feel more active, alert and smarter as they tend to be more attentive after consuming coffee. Coffee also aids in improving the cognitive function of the brain.
Coffee for Skin
Coffee is a great natural scrub that helps in removing the dead skin cells and also lightens the blemishes and the acne scars.
How to Use Coffee for a Glowing Skin
This face mask combining coffee grounds along with milk and honey helps in getting rid of the dead skin cells as well as rejuvenates the skin.
Coffee, Milk, Honey & Cocoa face Mask
Things we need
- Freshly Ground Coffee – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Cocoa Powder – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Muslin Cloth
- Warm Water – 1 Cup
- Take a mixing bowl and into this add in the ground coffee, cocoa powder, honey and milk.
- Mix this well until it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Now apply this mask all over your face and neck.
- Leave it on for about 10-15 mins.
- Later dip the muslin cloth in warm water and ring out the excess water from the cloth.
- Use this cloth to wipe the face gently in order to remove the mask.
- Later wash your face with cold water and pat the skin dry.
- This skin rejuvenation treatment with coffee can be repeated twice in a week for a naturally glowing skin.
How to Use Coffee for Lightening the Blemishes
Coffee contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Skin beneficial properties like these help in healing the damaged skin and also rejuvenates it.
Coffee, Honey, and Yoghurt face Mask
Honey is rich in antioxidants and skin healing properties.
Yoghurt is a natural source of lactic acid that helps in lightening the blemishes and the overall skin tone.
By combining honey and yoghurt along with coffee will aid in brightening, lightening and moisturizing the skin from deep within.
Things we need
- Ground Coffee – 2 tbsp
- Yoghurt – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Add in the ground coffee, honey and the yoghurt into a mixing bowl.
- Now mix all the ingredients well until it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Apply this coffee mask all over your face and neck area, avoiding the sensitive eye area.
- Leave it on for about 20-30 mins.
- Later wash your face with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry.
- This mask helps in lightening the blemishes, brightening the skin as well as tightens the pores.
- This coffee mask remedy can be repeated twice in a week for best results.
Coffee for Tightening & Toning the Skin
Coffee is packed with antioxidant benefits and this makes it the ideal ingredient for the skin. It also contains caffeine that helps in drawing out the excess moisture from the skin leaving the skin tighter and smoother.
How to Use Coffee to Tone the Skin
This natural skin exfoliant remedy that includes coffee, coconut oil, sugar and cinnamon helps in gently removing the dead skin cells as well as firms the skin.
The result of this natural coffee exfoliant will be a smoother, glowing and toned skin.
Coffee, Coconut Oil, Sugar and Cinnamon Body Scrub
Coffee rich in antioxidants helps in making the skin appear toned and smoother.
Coconut oil is rich in nutrients and skin beneficial vitamins that help in naturally moisturizing your skin from deep within.
Sugar is considered as another natural scrub that helps in removing the dead skin cells.
Cinnamon is packed with antibacterial properties that help in preventing the skin from skin infections and acne.
Things we need
- Ground Coffee – ½ Cup
- Coconut Oil – ¼ Cup
- Sugar – ½ Cup
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Take a mixing bowl and into this add in the ground coffee, coconut oil, cinnamon and sugar.
- Mix all the ingredients until they are well combined.
- Now you can store this natural body scrub in an airtight container.
- This scrub can be used once in a week to exfoliate the skin on the body as a natural skin toning treatment.
Coffee for Healthy & Shiny Hair
Coffee is packed with antioxidants and several health and beauty beneficial vitamins and nutrients.
These qualities makes coffee one of the best natural ingredients for healthy and shiny hair growth. Coffee is also one of the most important and most used ingredients in several hair care products.
How to Use Coffee for Naturally Shiny Hair
Coffee & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Olive oil is a rich natural source of vitamin E which helps in deep conditioning the hair and also promotes healthy hair growth by strengthening the roots.
Things we need
- Ground Coffee – 1 tbsp
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Small Bowl
- Shower Cap
- Take a small bowl and into this add in the ground coffee and the olive oil.
- Mix this well until it forms a smooth mask like consistency.
- Apply this coffee mask all over your hair from the roots to the ends of your hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it on for about 10-15 mins.
- Later wash your hair with a mild shampoo and let it towel dry.
- This process for a naturally shiny hair can be repeated twice in a week.
Coffee for Dry & Flaky Feet
Do you most often fancy those pedicures at spa to get rid of flaky feet?
Then you will definitely love this remedy to treat dry and flaky feet at home.
How to Use Coffee to Treat Dry & Flaky Feet
Coffee & Coconut Oil Foot Scrub
Coffee being rich in anti-inflammatory properties helps in healing the dry and flaky skin on the feet. It helps in getting rid of the dead skin cells of the feet.
Coconut oil aids in moisturizing the dry feet leaving them well nourished and soft.
Things we need
- Ground Coffee – 2 tbsp
- Coconut Oil – 2 ½ tbsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Warm Water – for soaking the feet
- Firstly add the coconut oil and the ground coffee into a mixing bowl.
- Mix this well until both the ingredients are well combined.
- Now dip your feet into the warm water for 2-3 mins.
- Later use the coffee scrub and scrub your feet gently in circular motions for at least 5-8 mins.
- Later place your feet again in the warm water for another 10-15 min.
- Later clean your feet with regular water and pat the skin dry.
- Always make sure to use a good moisturizer after scrubbing your feet.
- This remedy to heal and treat the dry feet can be repeated twice in a week.
Apart from the one’s mentioned above coffee is loaded with many other health benefits.
Few of them are mentioned below take a look!
- Coffee also aids in repairing the damaged skin caused by the harmful UV rays.
- Coffee is a great way to de-puff the puffy eyes and all you need to do is to use the ground coffee that you used in the morning and refrigerate it for 5-10 mins. Later place it under your eyes for about 10-15 mins.
- Coffee is a great way to treat the redness and irritation on the skin.
- Coffee is a great way to maintain the elasticity of the skin and make it appear youthful. This is possible because of the anti-aging properties present that the coffee is loaded with.
- Coffee is one of the best natural ways to get rid of cellulite.
All of the above-mentioned health benefits and uses of coffee are completely safe and have no side effects what so ever.
Be it any health concern it is always safe and logical to consider a few home remedies before buying the over the counter medications.
Home remedies are natural and completely safe and they have successfully proven to treat many major health ailments.
If any health concern continues even after the usage of the above-mentioned remedies then it is best suggested to consult a specialist for the same.