Before we move on with the remedies for the topic “How to get rid of shin splints” let us first gain some knowledge about what are shin splints!
Shin splint is a kind of pain that one experiences after a prolong run or playing some sports that involve running around. This pain is experienced along the front side of the lower leg. So before you judge without knowing exactly what is a shin splint and assume it to be some serious health condition read further about the same.
This is not some serious health condition but requires treatment in order to get rid of the shin splints pain. The ones who are most likely to be affected by this specific health condition are runners, athletes, dancers and people undergoing military training. Now that you know exactly is a shin splint let us now proceed with what exactly triggers this pain on the leg?
Causes of Shin Splints
The exact cause of this pain is yet to be discovered.
Although there are several medical science reports that have claimed that it is mainly caused when the connective tissue attached to the muscle of the leg is overstressed after some activity results in this pain.
Overwork on areas on muscles, bone tissues and the tendons results in this pain.
Apart from this the three obvious reasons for this annoying pain in the lower leg are:
- Muscle Dysfunction – Overstressed muscles with high amount of inflammation
- Tendinopathy – a kind of disease of the tendon
- Periosteal Remodeling – bone growth and regeneration
Whatever be the cause if you are worried about how to get rid of shin splints then we are here to help you out.
We have listed out some of the most followed and most effective home remedies that help in getting rid of this pain with immediate effect. Some incredibly easy, quick and affordable home remedies to kick off the shin pain:
1. Ice Pack
This remedy is perhaps the easiest and the most affordable way to treat the overstressed muscles over the lower leg.
Try this remedy for an immediate relief from the shin splints!
Things we need
- Ice Pack – 1
- Firstly take an ice pack or hold cubes of ice in a muslin cloth and place it over where you feel the pain.
- Hold it in the same place for at least 15-20 mins.
- Keep repeating this process for every 3-4 hours for at least 3-4 days or until the pain is completely gone.
- This simple, quick and affordable shin splints treatment at home works well in reducing the swelling, the inflammation as well as relieves the stressed out muscles.
2. Mustard Oil
We all have heard of the several benefits of running or any form of cardio workout routine. The only hassle with rigorous workout routines is the aftermath of it and shin splints being one of them.
So if you love working out and yet want to know how to prevent shin splints then stretching before a workout is the only way out. However, if you continue to face this common leg issue then this mustard oil remedy is the one for you.
Method 1: Mustard Oil Massage
Mustard oil is considered as one of the most effective and natural way to heal the inflamed muscles. It also helps in strengthening the muscles and tissues.
Try this easy and helpful remedy to get rid of the annoying pain in the shin.
Things we need
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp
- Firstly warm the mustard oil over medium heat.
- Then apply this warm mustard oil all over the area where you can feel the pain on the shin.
- Massage this oil for about 10-15 mins.
- This remedy needs to be repeated 3-4 times in a day for 2-3 weeks or until the shin splints symptoms vanish completely.
Method 2: Mustard Oil & Lavender Oil Massage Remedy
Lavender oil is a rich natural source of anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Combining lavender oil with mustard oil helps in reducing the muscle soreness as well as improves the blood circulation throughout the leg.
If you are looking for natural ways about how to fix shin splints then this massage remedy is the one for you.
Try this remedy and experience an overnight relief from this painful muscle soreness!
Things we need
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
- Lavender Oil – 3 Drops
- Mixing Cup
- Take a mixing cup or bowl and into this add in the lavender oil and the mustard oil.
- Now heat this mix of oils until it is warm enough.
- Later take it off the heat and let it warm down a little.
- Later take some oil into the palms of your hand and massage it over the shins for 10-15 mins.
- Let the oil be over your leg for another hour or two.
- This massage procedure can be repeated 2-3 times in a day for 3 weeks or until there is no absolute sign of shin splint
3. Epsom Salt
This bath remedy using the Epsom salt is a great way to relax the sore shins. Wondering how can Epsom salt help with this?
Any kind of rigorous activity such as running or dancing requires the professionals of the same field to consume a required amount of magnesium in their everyday diet.
With activity such as running one tends to lose the magnesium levels from the body and Epsom salts are a great natural way to restore the lost magnesium levels of the body.
Method 1: Epsom Salt Bath
Several scientific reports have proved that the magnesium from the Epsom salts gets soaked deep into the skin with this Epsom salt bath remedy.
So if you are looking for answers about what to do for shin splints then try this amazing remedy to relieve your sore muscles!
Things we need
- Epsom Salts – 2 Cups
- Warm Bath Water
- Add the two cups of Epsom salts into your warm bath water.
- Now soak in this water for at least 10-12 mins.
- This process can be repeated 2-3 times in a day for a week or until the pain has been completely subsided.
- This is an excellent natural shin splints cure.
- This Epsom salts bath remedy works effectively not just to relieve the pain but also helps in improving the nerve function as well as relieves stressed tissues.
Method 2: Epsom Salt Compress
Worried about how to get rid of shin splints?Then stop your search with this quick and extremely helpful remedy.
Epsom salts are a great to relieve the muscle tension and also helps in improving the nerve function in our body. This Epsom salt compress remedy is probably the quickest way to ease out the sore and overstressed out muscles.
Try this remedy for an immediate relief from the pain in the shin!
Things we need
- Epsom Salt – 2 Cups
- Lukewarm Water – Large Bowl
- Clean Muslin Cloth
- Firstly add the Epsom salt to a bowl full of warm water.
- Later dip a clean muslin cloth into this bowl and let it soak for a min or two.
- Now ring out the excess water from the cloth and place it on the sore shins.
- Compress the sore shin for at least 10-12 mins.
- Later dip again in the same warm Epsom salt water and repeat the process.
- This Epsom salt compression remedy needs to be repeated 3-4 times in a day for two weeks or until you don’t feel any pain or sore muscles.
- So if you are looking for an ideal solution about how to heal shin splints with just one ingredient then this remedy is the perfect one for you.
4. Ginger Tea
Are you confused about how to cure shin splints naturally?Then try this extremely easy and helpful remedy to reduce the pain on the shins.
As crazy as it sounds but it is a proven fact that ginger is one ingredient which helps in reducing inflammation and muscle pains.
Ginger is packed with anti-inflammatory and anti-healing properties. This ginger tea remedy will help in relieving the muscle strain and also reduces the shin pain!
Things we need
- Ginger – 1 Small Piece
- Water – 1 Cup
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Firstly add a cup of water to the saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Once the water starts to boil add in the ginger and turn off the heat.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and let it steep for 2-3 mins.
- Later transfer this into a cup and add some honey and stir it well.
- Now consume this ginger tea twice in a day for a week as a natural shin splint treatment.
5. Turmeric Milk
This remedy is considered as one of the most ancient remedies to treat multiple health issues. Turmeric is a rich natural source of anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, anti-bacterial, anti-carcinogenic and antioxidant properties.
Milk is rich in calcium and this helps in strengthening the bones and muscles.
Try this remedy now if you are looking for natural solutions about how to help shin splints!
Things we need
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 Glass
- Serving Cup
- Honey (for taste) – 1 tsp
- Add a glass of milk into a saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Allow the milk to boil.
- Once it reaches the boiling consistency add the turmeric powder and slow down the heat.
- Stir the turmeric powder well into the milk making sure that there are lumps.
- Once the turmeric powder has completely dissolved into the milk without any lumps take it off the heat and transfer into the serving cup.
- Now to this add honey for taste and stir it again.
- Consume this turmeric milk once it feels warm enough.
- This remedy can be repeated twice in a day for 2-3 weeks or until there are no absolute symptoms of shin splints.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Have you tried shin splints exercises and yet couldn’t get any relief from the pain? Then try this natural remedy and reduce the inflammation effectively.
Cayenne pepper is packed with anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the inflammation, improve the blood flow as well as reduces the swelling around and over the shins.
Things we need
- Cayenne Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 Glass
- Add a teaspoon of the cayenne pepper powder into a glass of water.
- Mix this well and drink this solution as a natural remedy for shin splints.
- This remedy can be repeated twice in a day for 2-3 weeks or until the pain and muscle soreness has completely subsided.
7. Stretch Treatment
Looking for help with pain with shin splints running?Then try this highly effective remedy and watch the pain disappear within a few repetitions of the same.
A good and the right stretch can help in relaxing the muscles as well as aids in reducing the muscle soreness.
- Place the base of your bare feet over a step or against a wall for support.
- Now slowly lower your heels by bending down your ankles.
- Stop when you can feel a good stretch on your lower legs and on the back of your lower legs.
- Hold this position for at least 30-40 seconds.
- Repeat this stretch on the other leg.
- This is known as one of the best stretches for shin splints.
- This stretch can be repeated before and after a run or a dance session.
- This stretch not only helps in reducing the pain over the skin but also helps in preventing from muscle soreness.
8. Taping Treatment
This is another great way to experience an immediate relief from the pain over the lower leg. If you are one of those always looking for answers about how to treat shin splints at home?
Then this quick remedy is just the one for you!This remedy requires just one thing and off the pain goes.
Try this remedy for some immediate comfort from the shin splints pain now!
Things we need
- Elastic Bandage – 1
- This is a handy way to compress the area using an elastic bandage.
- Hold the bandage just above the ankle towards just below the knee.
- Wrap this area with it.
- Leave this wrap for at least 3-4 weeks or until the pain goes away completely.
- This is considered as one of the best and the fastest shin splints cure.
9. Cross Training Treatment
This treatment is an ideal way to heal the inflammation in the shin.It works well for athletes, dancers or runners equally.
Try this to feel the change yourself!
- Try cross training like instead of doing your routine activity that has caused you the shin pain in the first place try to take up swimming, cycling or even a slow walk in the pool.
- This change in the physical routine helps in reducing the pain and the inflammation over and around the shin.
- Continue with this program until you experience no pain at all.
Apart from the remedies mentioned above, there are a few additional tips that can help in preventing and treating the shin pain.
Additional important and helpful steps to avoid the shin splints!
- If you are a runner always make sure to invest in a good pair of running shoes. Also, it is very important that one needs to own at least two pairs of shoes in order balance the stress over the legs.
- If you are prone to developing shin splints more than often then it is a must that you practice leg and calves stretches before and after a workout.
- Intake of vitamin D in your everyday diet is extremely important as it helps in building, strengthening and maintaining the muscle strength in your body.
- Foods like dairy products, tuna fish, salmon, cheese, egg yolks are all a rich source of vitamin D.
- Calcium is one of an essential minerals that help in improving the bone and muscle health.
- Foods like yoghurt, milk, cheese, dark leafy green vegetables, almond milk, soy milk are all a rich source of calcium.
- Avoid walking over steep hills when you experience muscle soreness as it can aggravate the condition.
All the above mentioned home remedies are the perfect ways to answer a common query as how to get rid of shin splints naturally!
They have been proven to provide a great relief from a common muscle issue as the shin splints.
But if at all the muscle soreness doesn’t subside or worsens over a longer period of period of time then it is best suggested to consult a specialist for the same.